PDA

View Full Version : smokey accord... HELP!

jstyle711
12-06-2002, 04:37 PM
i have a 86 lx-i f/i ... its been sitting in my driveway for the past 3 months .. i decided that i wanted it, bad thing that.. blue smoke from the exhaust keeps on coming out when the car is cold, after a while the smoke starts to die down.. but its still there.. stinks =| ... and it cant pass deq also..

ive changed the oil checked spark plugs replaced the o2 sensors and had a shop repair a vaccume leak... what else is there ;|... IT STILL SMOKES!!.. :( .. i want to drive that car so bad =|... so whats the problem?.. thanks guys!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-06-2002, 05:48 PM
If your car smokes outta the exhaust, it can be caused by several things. One is worn piston rings which allows oil to enter the combustion chamber and burn during combustion. This produces anything from a faint smoke to a horrid cloud with a strong stench.

Two: It may be that your valve seals are worn, which has a similar effect as the worn rings.

Also, is your car carbed or FI?

In both cases it is possible to adjust your mixture. It may be that your mixture is adjusted too rich(excessive fuel in the air/fuel mix) and it is producing the smoke and stench).

However, I am more inclined to say that it is probably the rings or the valve seals since you say that the smoke is not as dense as the car warms up. This leads me to conclude that as the engine heats up, the metal expands, and the tolerances between the piston/cylinder, and/or valves/seals decrease allowing less oil to enter the combustion chamber.

The easiest way to check if you have worn rings, or seals, is to drive the car for some time(days, weeks) and then check the oil level periodically when the car is cold. If it droped from your previous measurement, you need to get the car serviced.

The rings and seals are not very cheap to replace and should generally be serviced only by qualified professionals.

Hope this helps you diagnose your problem.

The RUS.:pimp:

Immeraufdemhund
12-06-2002, 06:55 PM
and he has an lx-i...which means... EFI... just thought that might help the RUS

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Pardon my inattentiveness,
I didn't read the post thoroughly enough. However if I am not mistaken, EFI also has a mixture control adjustment. Correct me if I am wrong. :D

The RUS.:pimp:

Tim Yoak
12-07-2002, 04:55 PM
CHECK ALSO, THERE IS AN OIL VAPOR SEPORATOR ON THE CAR, LOOK FOR A HOSE COMING OUT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN AND GOING UP. SOMETIMES SOMETHING WILL GO WRONG WITH THIS AND CAUSE OIL TO BE PULLED INTO THE CARB BY VACCUME

AccordEpicenter
12-08-2002, 10:26 PM
how many miles?

rocky2
12-09-2002, 07:02 AM
Take the valve cover off. Look for exxesive oil left up there. If there is your oil return passages may be clogged causing the oil to get though the valve seals easier as mentioned. With a worn engine though you can go to a straight 30w oil that may not burn/smoke as much,just can't use in cold climates in winter.