PDA

View Full Version : idle problems and a slight backfire....

caveman_ca5
07-16-2014, 10:30 AM
I have been told its a problem with my carb but idk whats going on. Sometimes the car runs fine. Then sometimes the idle just dies and while its struggling i can hear a slight backfire. Can anyone help??

conozo
07-16-2014, 04:56 PM
How does it start when its warm and when its cold.

caveman_ca5
07-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Sometimes it starts up normal. Idle goes up to about 2800-3000 then goes back down to normal. Then sometimes it struggles to start idles up to adout 2000 and dies.

pajamas95
07-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Mine used to do this and I think it is the automatic choke. If you give the gas one full push to the floor and let up fast right before cranking it can help. The idle will climb real high for a second, but then you tap the gas and it will drop to normal again. This only happens with cold starts, but if the car has run in the last 15 - 20 minutes it starts fine.

conozo
07-16-2014, 08:34 PM
First thing to check on these carbs is the vacuum hoses. There are a lot and they are old. Look for disconnected and brittle hoses. Also with the car running, spray some carb cleaner around the outside of the carb by the vacuum lines. If the idle increases during a spray you have a leak in that area. It doesn't take much of a spray btw.

Oldblueaccord
07-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Mine used to do this and I think it is the automatic choke. If you give the gas one full push to the floor and let up fast right before cranking it can help. The idle will climb real high for a second, but then you tap the gas and it will drop to normal again. This only happens with cold starts, but if the car has run in the last 15 - 20 minutes it starts fine.

This is exactly how to "set the choke" on any carburetor car. Cold start. Most its not quite to the floor but half way let off ,crank.

caveman_ca5
07-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Cleaned the carb and been running carb cleaner and it seems to have fixed the problem :)