PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEZZ..Car in trouble starting

Bullfrog
12-07-2002, 08:28 AM
hey....ok i have a car problem and its semi diagnosed. When i go to start the car i hear the starter engage and sometimes grind or girnd and wind up real high, no i dont think its the starter but the gear that the starter attachs to. i need to know the name of that gear oor if anyone had this problem what to do to fix it and how much. i relize i have to take the whole engine out and replace that gear but i need to knoe what the name of the gear is!..any help is apprecaited. thanks all

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :sadwave: :(

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-07-2002, 10:00 AM
It's called the flywheel. Most likely you've got some broken teeth, causing it to grind

Bullfrog
12-07-2002, 05:55 PM
i know there are flywheels in manual transmissions but is it the same for automatic transmissions?.....i heard that autos dont have a flywheel...and if it is a flywheel how hard is it to change :-(

cruznz
12-07-2002, 06:06 PM
its the ring-gear....on flywheel for manuals....on convertor for autos

cruznz
12-07-2002, 06:10 PM
oh...some auto's use a flexiplate with the ringgear on that bolts to convertor.....ring-gear is normally heated to fit on flywheel, shrinks as it cools , then spot welded but there are exceptions...

Bullfrog
12-07-2002, 07:38 PM
can you please elaborate...what would i have to do to get to the ring gear...? and how much does this cost and is its sounding like a major pain in the ass or fix....can someone explain this more clearly do i have to take the tranny out also or just the engine?

cruznz
12-08-2002, 04:09 AM
ring-gear is term used for the teeth on flywheel/flexi-plate......easier just to get second-hand flywheel...remove tranny to replace....is bolted to crank-shaft with clutch mounted on it

Bullfrog
12-08-2002, 08:35 AM
you have kept in mind that i do have an automatic, but from prior knowlage is the flywheel not just on the side of the engine or is it diffrent for hondas, alas i am thinking of an american car not import.....

cruznz
12-08-2002, 01:54 PM
on auto,... ring-gear will be on the torque convertor....not sure with your year model but i think its part of the convertor not a flexi-plate,.....may be cheaper to have ring-gear replaced than getting another convertor....are you sure its not the starter playing up?.....pull-in/hold -in windings on solenoid may be playing up

shepherd79
12-08-2002, 02:10 PM
if it does all the time, i mean everytime you are trying to start than it is your starter. i don't think it is possible to lose a tooth in the flex plate. they are too strong to be riped out. i have a bet it is your starter.

dXsquared
12-08-2002, 03:28 PM
my dad had a Ford Sable that lost some teeth... it got so bad that he had to use a socket and ratchet to turn the motor to a place with teeth... he sold the car for 500 bux!

Travis

Bullfrog
12-08-2002, 04:40 PM
thank you gentlemen for all of your help...i just yanked the starter out and found out every last tooth the Freakin thing are impuned flat.... theres nothing for the engine to catch on....need a new starter which i will be getting form the junk yard 2marrow after school...the ring gear teeth are fillited jsut a tiny bit so that they are smooth but not rounded over so they arnt that bad just old.....thank you so much for your help apprecate it....:tongue:

3GEEZ rollin on!:flipa: :flip: :smokin:

AccordEpicenter
12-08-2002, 10:16 PM
If you ever need to look at the convertor, there is a little piece of steel covering the convertor (convertor cover) located on the underside of the car and you can see all the flexplate bolts and the convertor teeth too