PDA

View Full Version : secondaries arent working.

goldyaccord
12-07-2002, 10:53 AM
I'll keep this short. I couldnt keep up with a civic or go over 85 unless i was really trying. Damn it i could get to 110 easy before.

secondaries aren coming on... I could tell becuase my powerband was flat all through out the rpms. I"m supposed to feel a pull start around 3500 but its not happpening.

I need to know what to do or look for...

Josh

A20A1
12-07-2002, 01:01 PM
hmm I'll post 2 pics... well maybe 3 or more.

A20A1
12-07-2002, 01:44 PM
pic one:

A20A1
12-07-2002, 01:48 PM
pic two:

A20A1
12-07-2002, 01:58 PM
SEC = Secondary
Connect it to the secondary diaphragm.

A Air Jet Controller
PLUG

B Air Jet Controller
PLUG

C Air Jet Controller
PLUG

Pri Ven Vac = Primary Venturi Vacuum
PLUG
Located below 1/4 Fuel Line

Pwr Valve = Power Valve
Connect it directly to manifold vacuum
The power valve is to the left of Air Jet Controller letter A

A20A1
12-07-2002, 02:01 PM
aslo double check that your booster venturies are not loose.

shepherd79
12-07-2002, 03:05 PM
do you have secondary manual? or it still runs on vacuum?

A20A1
12-07-2002, 03:21 PM
his still runs on vacuum... is the arm from the secondary diaphragm still connected to the secondary shaft?

goldyaccord
12-07-2002, 04:10 PM
I'm runnin on vacuum..

i'm goin to go outside and check the lines... and make adjustments according to the pics...

Josh

goldyaccord
12-07-2002, 04:12 PM
where is the booster and now do i check it?

goldyaccord
12-07-2002, 04:44 PM
whoooo!

Secondaries are coming on!!! Took the jet controller out and plugged the ports. now i gotta do some clean up and put the airbox back on along with the pvc breather shit.

Also found where i was leaking coolant.... that problem's solved!

Now my only motor problem i have now is, Oil is leaking off the Head Gasket tab. Lets say oil is leaking from the head. is it something that will ruin my motor? or isnt it more of an annoyance problem?

I wipe the tab clean and then let the motor run and i can see oil streaking out from the tab area. It cant be the valve cover gasket.

What should i do?

shepherd79
12-08-2002, 05:39 AM
you may want to change the head gasket if that bad.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-08-2002, 06:20 AM
goldyaccord,

About the oil leak.....I basically had a similar problem where I would have oil appearing on the tab after the engine warmed up. What it turned out to be however, were deposits of oil and grease on the engine that would liquify at operating temperatures and leak all over the tab and down the engine. Thinking it was the head gasket, I took it to a mechanic and all he found was a weak clamp on the oil pan breather(I think that's what it was) and then he just washed the engine very THOROUGHLY. After that my engine not only looks better, but I have also put about 500 miles on it with no sign of oil. Try to wash the engine out real well and see if that helps. If your headgasket was blown, you would have oil sputtering out of the break due to the high oil pressure inside the engine and you would be losing oil very fast.

Hope I helped out. :D

goldyaccord
12-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Hmmm....

I am losing oil. i had to put a whole quart in after afew weeks. but the oil isnt coming out like sputtering it's more like leaking out a tiny bit. and it's coming right on the tab. I would wipe the tab clean and then rev the motor afew times while watching the tab and within 5 secs i get oil very slowly coming out.

I cant have a blown gasket.... maybe the gasket itsnt sealed properly?

I had taken afew pics but they didnt get developed on the camera.

Josh

Tim Yoak
12-08-2002, 09:02 PM
What side is the oil leaking out of? If it is coming out the distributor side, check the o ring on the distributor. This ring leaking will make it appear that you have a head gasket leak. If it is on the pully side, check your valve cover gasket. These gaskets seem to leak like a sieve on all of the early hondas. One more place where you may have a leak is the breather hose coming out the back of the oil pan. Jack up the car and feel the hose at the point where it connects to the pan. This hose somtimes becomes porus, and you will lose a lot of oil. If all fails, take off the valve cover and retorque the head to factory specs, and in the proper sequence.

goldyaccord
12-08-2002, 09:35 PM
It's coming from the passenger side of the head. I'll check the distributor ring...

This motor only has 40,000 miles on it and it's from Japan. The mechanic had to strip down my old motor and also the imported motor to swap over the water pump, intake, carbs, Distributor, um, oil pump? and whatnot..

It's logical to think it's the distributor since it was swapped over.

I'll see what i can do but i'm going to go ahead and invest in a torque wench.

Josh