PDA

View Full Version : how do I install a shift knob?

Mugen
05-17-2002, 06:36 PM
:super: alright I am getting a DC red anodized shift knob and I want to know how to take the stock shift knob off. Its gonna look sick on my Lxi.:bandit:

guaynabo89
05-17-2002, 06:43 PM
If its stick the knob screws off. If its auto it should have a couple of screws on it unscrew and lift.

Mugen
05-17-2002, 06:51 PM
So all you have to do is unscrew it:sadwave:

guaynabo89
05-17-2002, 07:00 PM
Yup, but you have to take the center console off. The shifter boot needs to be taken off the console or else you wont be able to unsrew it.

Also it might be pretty tight so don't get discouraged. It does unscrew the normal way.(counterclockwise)

Chris86Lxi
05-20-2002, 04:50 PM
Umm, no you don't. I put on a carbon fiber shift knob on my stick and didn't take no damn console appart or out. The boot just pops down. Pull down on it and it should pop loose from the knob then unscrew it and screw the new one on.

Chris

guaynabo89
05-22-2002, 05:00 AM
If you have the stock vinyl boot with the stock knob then you have to take the console off because the boot is screwed into the console from underneath. If you just yank it down from the knob it will break because the boot is held on to the knob with a screw.:( If yours actually just pulled down with no problem then you're lucky cause mine has a screw that holds it on.

Now if you have some sort of pep boys rubber boot then you could just pull that out.

You see I was trying to keep him from breaking anything. You never know if he wants to put the stock knob back on and put his dc sports one on another car.:cool:

So now he can check. If it just pulls down then thats good. If his knob is like mine when it doesn't pull off than he knows its held on with a screw from underneath:D