PDA

View Full Version : order of things...

86DXdude
12-07-2002, 04:18 PM
So a lot of threads talk about adjusting the timing and tweaking the fuel mixture (carb) but only as separate things. I would like to have my car idling as close to perfectly as possible but I would have to really do those two things. But in which order? If I adjust the timing but my carb is running rich, it will affect my timing, no? Likewise if I were to adjust my fuel mixture but my timing is off, it won't be perfect. The only reason I'd have to adjust the fuel mixture is that my carb was recently rebuilt and it would be nice to be certain the mixture is correct. And whenever I play even a smidge with the stop-throttle screw, it never seems to be consistent.

So what to do first? Timing the mixture or vice versa?

you guys are the best.

79EK1
12-07-2002, 09:50 PM
You should adjust the idle speed first, then adjust the timing, and finally, adjust the mixture. As long as the engine rpm stays the same, the ignition timing should stay the same. After that, go back and double check everything. It's never a one step process. Good luck.

shepherd79
12-08-2002, 05:37 AM
i would say adjust your mixture, because RMP will go up when you adjusting the mixture. than adjust the idle. and than you can mess with timing.