PDA

View Full Version : can wiper motor be removed without removing wiper arms and air scoope?

derolph
07-27-2014, 06:11 PM
I would like to remove the windshield wiper motor to make some space to repair some rust I see under it in the corner of the wheel well and firewall. I found a diagram on page 21-97 in the 1986-89 Accord Master Manual that I downloaded from Honda service manuals - The 3geez Wiki (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals) but I cannot tell from it whether I can remove the motor without removing the wiper arms, etc. The page from the manual lists the steps to replace the whole wiper system but I merely want to dismount the motor so that I can work in the space under it.

Dr_Snooz
07-27-2014, 08:09 PM
I believe the wiper arms mount to the motor with a simple ball and socket connection. Just pop the motor off the wiper arm and remove the motor. Then smear some grease in the cup before reassembly for preventive maintenance. Truthfully though, I tried popping it off, but it required more force than I was comfortable applying. Fortunately, it wasn't critical for me to remove it. Just having it loose gave me the space I needed for what I was doing.

VIPER1988
07-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Mine has a nut and lock washer holding the arm to the motor. Had to remove wiper arms and plastic to get to it.

lostforawhile
07-27-2014, 11:28 PM
cowl plastic has to come off, and the arms have to come off to remove that,you can pop the linkage off the motor pretty easy, motor is held in with three bolts, dont lose them as they are special bolts,

Vanilla Sky
07-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Yeah, as Tim points out, it's not as much work as it appears. The wiper blade arms and cowl can be removed in a few minutes, giving you easy access to the motor. Why not just pull them?

lostforawhile
07-28-2014, 02:40 PM
only issue you might run into, are the stupid plastic fasteners holding on the grill over the cowl, if they come apart, you can probably match up something that will work from the local parts store, the foam seal will probably come apart, but it can be replaced with stick on foam strips like you use for weather stripping

Vanilla Sky
07-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Mine are in good condition, as are the ones I'm taking off of the parts cars I'm scrapping out.

lostforawhile
07-28-2014, 06:39 PM
I replaced mine with riv nuts so now I have machine screws that hold it on