PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Honda Accord LX Carbed Idling Issue (IACv?)

Natha
07-29-2014, 01:32 AM
Hey everyone, sorry to be a bother but I'm not too sure where to go from here as I'm not too much of a car genius. When I first got this car it ran fine, and all of a sudden there was a slight shake when the car was stopped (eg: at the lights, stop sign), and problems with idling. When I turn on the car it needs to be revved in order to prevent it stalling, it will sit at about 1000 RPM, and then go down as if it is going to die. After revving the car it stays around 1000 RPM in neutral but then I put it into drive and it drops back down, and then you're required to rev it again with the handbreak/break on.

Does anyone know a fix, or has had similar issues? I was thinking of cleaning the idle air control valve.

Also I'm not too worried about the slight shake, more the idle issues.

Thanks a lot.

mikes88exi
08-04-2014, 01:11 PM
The shake more then likely comes from the almost stall state. Clean your idle air,but also check your pcv valve and make.sure it's not plugged with gunk,as well as your vacuum hoses for cracks,breaks or crushing. An engine only need three things to run fuel,spark and air.start with the small things first.