PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my valvecover.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-08-2002, 12:08 AM
I've been re-doing an 87 accord valvecover to put on my car and I dropped the thing from about 3 to 4 feet. I have no idea if it's damaged or not. Would it be safe to still use this valvecover? I don't want to finish doing it if it won't be safe. What do you guys think?:stick:

Blue Impact
12-08-2002, 12:30 AM
I think it'll still be useful.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-08-2002, 12:39 AM
I didn't see any bends or anything. I used that aircraft paint stripper on it. That stuff is powerful. Then I used my dremel to sand it down.

YK86
12-08-2002, 12:52 AM
If you don't see any obvious dents or bent spots (especially where it mates to the head), then I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-08-2002, 12:55 AM
I did notice the half circle (is that the timing belt cover) is bent in towards the cover. Is this bad?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-08-2002, 01:00 AM
The bend is very slightly, maybe I should try and bend it back? I don't really want to scrap this cover because it's the cool one. It has the H and the Honda Motor Company emblem that screws onto the valvecover. Instead of the H and the Honda Motor Company sticker that's on my 89 lx.

Dutchboy
12-08-2002, 11:28 AM
that little cover over the timing cover isnt a big deal...its just to keep stuff out the timing components....you can run the car without the covers on if you wanted....i was for a while when i was playing around with the tensionn to see if it had anything to do with my missfire....

and it make everything look prettty!

bend it back and dont worry...as long as the cover isnt damaged at the mating surface it should be fine.

Ben

anchovies
12-08-2002, 09:53 PM
Try it out first before spending time on it. At least you won't be wasting time painting or sanding it and then find out that it leaks.

AccordEpicenter
12-08-2002, 10:06 PM
With your LX cuz the cover is steel, i dont see why bending it back would damage it. In an LXi with the die cast aluminum or whatever, if it cracked id prolly get another

Grant2k
12-09-2002, 07:50 AM
it's just a cover, so as long as it mates properley to the head you shouldn't have a problem. it may leak eventually if it's broken in any way so then you should replace it, but it's not technically a vital part of the car. you could run the car without it if you really wanted to. and make a mess.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-09-2002, 09:19 AM
Well thanks a lot guys. That's all I needed to know. Thanks for all the help and info.