PDA

View Full Version : Accord Wont Move!

LtNPuNiShA
12-08-2002, 07:25 AM
I have an 86 accord hatch DX, Carb. Just recently my gears had locked up. I was on the road and when I turned at an Intern, i couldnt change gears the shifter got stuck. Then I got it out of the gear and it would go slowly on nuetral,...???? Really confused me...So then i towed it to my house and have had it there ever since. Ive moved it forward once and it stopped immediatly with a loud clunk noise.but whn i put it in nuetral and ran slowly (5mph). Ive moved it in reverse a couple time and had no problem. Im really stuck on to what it is cause Ive been told by so many mechanics what it could be and Im on the way of mking a 300 or 400 dollar decision changing the tranny. I need help havent found any threads that have my problem. I need this info ASAP as Im going out of Town In 3 days.

Dutchboy
12-08-2002, 11:18 AM
you probably need to adjust the clutch or else theres something wrong with the clutch itself.

follow the clutch cable to the tranny. theres a arm that sticks out the tranny which the cable is attached too.....theres a large plastic nut ontop of the bracket above the arm out the tranny...turn that to allow the arm of the tranny to mave freely just alittle bit...

it sounds like the cable is to loose not allowning disengagement of the clutch therefore you not able to shift..

check that first before making any descisions.

ben

rocky2
12-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Do a basic check of fliud level 1st. Then also make sure the axles are there. I f you break a axle drive/ cv joint its just like the trans went out.

LtNPuNiShA
12-08-2002, 11:58 AM
what fluids would i be checking? I really know nothing about this car. Thnx for the helpful info also.

Dutchboy
12-08-2002, 12:47 PM
the tranny fluid!!

without it your tranny will be hard to move..

check the fluid and the clutch freeplay and go from there..

BEn

LtNPuNiShA
12-09-2002, 03:26 PM
If its my CV what parts should i be looking for, because there is alot of parts in that area. SO if here is anything to replace let me know.

smufguy
12-09-2002, 04:10 PM
Ben an auto does have a tranny fluid to make it run but the 5spd tranny DOES NOT have a tranny fluid. I think you are confused about that.

HOw long has it been since u got the clutch replaced? have u had a clutch adjustment every oilchange? its probably ur clutch needing adjustment. Does your clutch pedal go to the floor when u step on it?

LtNPuNiShA
12-09-2002, 04:15 PM
I got the clutch 2 weeks before thi happened, and it was adjusted. So I had my uncle chedck it out and he said its the CV joints. So Hopefully this wouls solve my problem but keep posting as i need more ideas .. thnx

Yes i feel the usual pressure i feel on the clutch that is natural. Its not loose or hard..so its set pretty good. The clutch is strong cvause i can feel that it wants to take off with power but something is holding it back like an E-Brake...Im really stuck.

Dutchboy
12-09-2002, 04:53 PM
sorry smufguy......

i know it doesnt have tranny fluid....ares takes regular oil...i just meant to check the level of the fluid...if he says that the clutch was new only 2 weeks ago i would be suspicious that the oil wasnt replaced in the tranny or they never filled it all the way up...

my friend had the same problem...he had a new clutch put in at a reputable shop and they didnt refill the tranny with oil after....so he was driving all good for a while until the bearings and all the little peices of the shifting and gears wore out and it stuck in the last gear it was in....the tranny was toast after that..

if you say it doesnt go in gear or out of gear then its the tranny or the clutch...
i suggest adjusting the clutch as said before...a new clutch will wear in and need to be readjusted....and check to see if theres any oil in the tranny...

BEn

LtNPuNiShA
12-09-2002, 04:59 PM
there were times when i moved it out of gear and stayed in nuetral then sometimes i couldnt but right now its out of gear..so im really confused now than ever.

smufguy
12-09-2002, 08:55 PM
so it was not doing it right after u got the clutch fixed? if it was, could be it was put in wrong. usually, when u get the clutch in, like a performance clutch, its gonna be harder to shift in the low rpms (less that 2K rpm usual) until the break in period. But i am justhinking they would have either torqued the bolts in the tranny wrong when they got it in.

cruznz
12-10-2002, 07:16 AM
hmmmm.....maybe the gearshift linkages?........

Greg
12-10-2002, 05:59 PM
Ummm... manual trans DOES have transmission fluid. It uses 10W 30 in the transmission to lubricate the gearbox and differential.

"tranny fluid" does not necessarily mean "ATF."

-----

Are you sure your clutch pedal is adjusted fine? Did the cable snap maybe? Check the connection at the throwout arm on the trans and check that there is about 1 in. of free play there.

If you just got your clutch done 2 weeks ago, and it's not the clutch cable then I would bet 99% that they fucked up. Either no gear oil in the trans or they did something stupid like not attaching your throwout bearing right or not tightening things properly. I've always wondered what would happen if you didn't tighten the pressure plate bolts to spec...

-Greg

smufguy
12-11-2002, 06:49 AM
its not the technical term for it. Its called "Gear oil" not "Transmission Fluid" and the amount of oil inside it is way too little in the manual compared to the amount of fluid in the Auto trans. Also, the ATF serves and extra main purpose in the auto tranny and the gear oil in the manual trans is to just lube the diff and gears. THe chemical composition and viscosity of the ATF is different than the gear oil used in the manual tranny.

rocky2
12-11-2002, 03:02 PM
I think I may have caused a automotive terminology mishap here. I should have said just oil level in the manuel trany. And fliud goes for automatics. But don't use the term "gear oil" around a 3-g accord. I bought a used lxi that had the case compeltly bown off at 5th gear from the use of gear oil 90w. The reciept for it was found in the back seat from pep boys. Old timers like me always relate to manuels with it inside. I always say on this board to drain the oil in a 5-speed and replenish with 5w-30 when problems arise 1st before any repairs are done. Sorry for the confusion,but you know there are 4WD transfer cases and some europenan manuals that use ATF.

smufguy
12-11-2002, 09:38 PM
the term 'gear oil' is not a stand alone terminology. If u look at a corolla 5spd manual, u would find that it says gear oil in the back cover. but the thing is, its not the same as the engine oil. the whole thing comes in a different bottle with pin nozzle and not a lot of pep boys have it. some pepboys and walmart have it, but the one i went to did not have it so we had to go to a different pep boys to get it for my friend's corolla. It says in clear bold letters what kinda oil viscocity u should use and they are the same rating as our engine oil, like 10w-30 or 5w-30 and i hae never seen an accord with a 90w rating. There is no need to change a gear oil or the oil in ur 5spd tranny unless there has been a leak or the oil in it seems way too fucked up. U dont find manual trannies getting their oils changed like the auto tranny cause the ATF goes thru a lot of thermal and fluid shear thru the Torque converter.

anywayz, i am not picky about the terminology here as long as you know what ur refering to and the one ur talking to knows it too. :D

LtNPuNiShA
12-12-2002, 04:09 AM
my cousin used 80w gear oil for lubrication..could that have been the problem..if so wut could that cuase.

LtNPuNiShA
12-12-2002, 04:09 AM
my cousin used 80w gear oil for lubrication..could that have been the problem..if so wut could that cuase.

Greg
12-12-2002, 09:10 AM
OK OK OK, I don't want to get into a stupid argument about terminology. We all know the difference between ATF and different grade oils. This is stupid. I usually call it "trans oil" for M/T and "ATF" or "tranny fluid" for AT, but who cares. Sometimes I say "gear oil" for MT, but I usually only say that w/very viscous stuff like the 90W or 80W that goes in lots of toyota MT trannies. And yes, some MT's use ATF...

--------------------

But dude, if your cousin used 80W, that's BAD! The car is supposed to use 10w 30. 10w and 80w is a BIG FUCKIN DIFFERENCE. You're not getting the proper circulation with your 80W. Drain the shit and use 10w30, and see if it gets better.

This is why you should look in the owner's manual and use the specified fluids unless you really know what you're doing and trying to correct a problem (eg. using a different grade due to ware or mods)

I hope nothing in there got messed up.

smufguy
12-12-2002, 09:41 PM
using thicker oil would reduce ur performance and using thinner or lighter oil would wear down ur parts. Its always preferable to use the oils or fluids recommended in the service manual and the owners manual.