PDA

View Full Version : Two questions: Radius Rod Nut & Vacuum Advance

AC439
08-08-2014, 05:15 AM
Hi guys....I have been searching for days and couldn't find the answer. Hope someone can chime in.

1) I changed my radius rod bushings. I reused all the bolts and nuts. The problem is the nut at the very front on the right side becoming loose after some driving. I know we have discussed about that nut can come loose. But how do I secure it after I torque it so it will not come loose ? Do I need a new nut every time I loosen it ? (I know its a self locking nut)

2) I have a 86 LXi. The vacuum advance on the distributor was not holding vacuum so I ordered one from rockauto but they gave me a wrong part (for the carb). When I talked to them, they denied responsibility, blamed me and the manufacturer's wrong cross reference. I posted my experience here but my post was removed. Long story short, I am not happy. So I am using a vacuum advance NOT designed for the FI cars. Where can I get a vacuum advance for my LXi (other then trying rockauto again)?

Thanks.
- AC

Oldblueaccord
08-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Hi guys....I have been searching for days and couldn't find the answer. Hope someone can chime in.

1) I changed my radius rod bushings. I reused all the bolts and nuts. The problem is the nut at the very front on the right side becoming loose after some driving. I know we have discussed about that nut can come loose. But how do I secure it after I torque it so it will not come loose ? Do I need a new nut every time I loosen it ? (I know its a self locking nut)

2) I have a 86 LXi. The vacuum advance on the distributor was not holding vacuum so I ordered one from rockauto but they gave me a wrong part (for the carb). When I talked to them, they denied responsibility, blamed me and the manufacturer's wrong cross reference. I posted my experience here but my post was removed. Long story short, I am not happy. So I am using a vacuum advance NOT designed for the FI cars. Where can I get a vacuum advance for my LXi (other then trying rockauto again)?

Thanks.
- AC

Im in a hurry to goto work but if you search under my screen name i got a post about the radius rod bushings i think in the suspension section. If you put them together correctly the nuts hold the torque. But you can double nut them.

The advance not sure what you can do, maybe try napa.

niles
08-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your RockAuto experience. I don't have experience in replacing the vacuum advance.

But I double-nutted my radius rod bushings too because I couldn't find new nylock nuts in the right size.

lostforawhile
08-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Thanks.
- AC
I'll look to see if I can find you one of my vaccume advances from a spare carb dizzy, I'll check them to see if they hold vaccume, same issues with rock auto, sent me parts different then what I ordered then blamed me and refused to do anything about it, every time I complain about them, my posts also disappear

Dr_Snooz
08-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Can you not just LockTite those radius nuts?

lostforawhile
08-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Can you not just LockTite those radius nuts?

they are designed for one time use, nylocks, I cant remember the grade but they are standard metrics

AC439
08-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Thanks for replies. I just went to autozone and bought some M12 x 1.25. I am going to double nut them but have to get locking washers.

AC439
08-09-2014, 06:40 AM
I'll look to see if I can find you one of my vaccume advances from a spare carb dizzy, I'll check them to see if they hold vaccume, same issues with rock auto, sent me parts different then what I ordered then blamed me and refused to do anything about it, every time I complain about them, my posts also disappear

Thanks, but mine is a fuel inject and rockauto sent me one for carb already which is what I'm using now.

I'm hoping our moderators do not have any relationship with rockauto (and other suppliers) so as to maintain an unbiased forum. I try not to buy from rockauto if I don't need to because of the hassle of returning items if they don't come as advertised. Just a side note, Advance Auto has great online order discount so you can order on line and pick up at store. Coupon code can be found by googling.

Dr_Snooz
08-09-2014, 09:01 PM
they are designed for one time use, nylocks, I cant remember the grade but they are standard metrics

Are you answering my question? You can LockTite nylock nuts.

lostforawhile
08-10-2014, 03:16 AM
Are you answering my question? You can LockTite nylock nuts.

once you have used a nylock nut once, you are supposed to discard it. the plastic is designed to lock it only one time, if it wasnt on such a critical part, I might use it more then once, but thats the same standard I have to use on the airplane parts I build, FAA says one time use only, which is a good standard for any critical item. There is some debate over this, on different groups though, if the type you use doesnt form threads when you tighten it, you can probably get away with it, but some of them have hard plastic inserts which thread, when you tighten them, those can't be reused When I got my moog radius rod bushing kit from Nappa everything was in there to replace as the hardware anyway

Dr_Snooz
08-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Wouldn't the LockTite substitute for the plastic insert?

lostforawhile
08-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Wouldn't the LockTite substitute for the plastic insert?it might, but as cheap as new nylocks are, I would rather just replace them, not a place to save money

Accordtheory
08-11-2014, 08:28 PM
It takes much, much more force to break loctite free than a nylock, especially the red stuff. Even the blue is more than a nylock.

lostforawhile
08-12-2014, 03:09 AM
I wouldnt put the red stuff on it, it takes heat to break it loose, and the caster needs to be set, but blue would be ok i guess

Dr_Snooz
08-12-2014, 08:25 PM
it might, but as cheap as new nylocks are, I would rather just replace them, not a place to save money

It's not really the money so much. It's the hassle of finding them. Then you factor in the I-have-to-be-to-work-on-Monday-morning-and-it's-Sunday-night-and-everything-is-closed-and-this-is-the-only-thing-keeping-me-from-finishing-this-repair scenario and the Loctite starts to look real good. I only ask because I've Loctited nylock nuts and wondered how well it would work. Loctite for damn sure isn't cheap, but I always have it around. Big honking nylock nuts I typically don't have laying around.

Dr_Snooz
08-12-2014, 08:34 PM
So the torque rating of blue Loctite is 110 psi, which near as I can tell, translates to 159 ft-lbs. Should be plenty strong, but God knows I've never struggled 159 ft-lbs hard to break blue Loctite.

lostforawhile
08-13-2014, 06:31 AM
It's not really the money so much. It's the hassle of finding them. Then you factor in the I-have-to-be-to-work-on-Monday-morning-and-it's-Sunday-night-and-everything-is-closed-and-this-is-the-only-thing-keeping-me-from-finishing-this-repair scenario and the Loctite starts to look real good. I only ask because I've Loctited nylock nuts and wondered how well it would work. Loctite for damn sure isn't cheap, but I always have it around. Big honking nylock nuts I typically don't have laying around.
I have a tendency to forget everyone doesnt have a hardware store in their garage lol, I hoard nuts and bolts, cotter keys,rivets,and all kinds of strange hardware, so I have oddball stuff most people have never even seen

Dr_Snooz
08-13-2014, 08:11 PM
You have one of those garages. My dad had one and his neighbor had one too. They were packed to the rafters with stuff and there was never anything you needed that wasn't in there...somewhere.

I bought my '82 Accord with a blown engine. I set about rebuilding it only to realize that the crankshaft was shot. I told the neighbor about it and he went in his backyard and brought out a good one for me. True story. Swear to God. He had a crankshaft for my newly purchased heap just sitting in his backyard. It was perfect.

He was amazing.