PDA

View Full Version : Tach,Fuel,Temp Guage Issue BLOWING FUSEs!

deathblood6
08-09-2014, 03:57 PM
My RPM, Fuel, and temp Gauge have been going out + turn signals- The same fuse keeps breaking (10amp blinker fuse)- I can't figure out what it could be. I have unplugged my fog lamps from the battery, and removed the bulbs from my reverse lights. It seemed to eliminate the problem when city driving but as soon as I highway drive for about 15 mins or more the 10 amp fuse breaks, and my Tach,Fuel, and temp gauge drop, and stop reading. My gauge cluster is fine because My speedometer still functions. Something is touching or rubbing against something, I've cleaned up grounds, and any obvious areas that are subject to corrosion, such as battery terminals, engine grounds, and checked under the dash to see if any wires appeared torn or pinched.

could really use your help 3gee community!

any advice or suggestion would be great- haven't been able to find any previous post on my issue - please feel free to link me / if this issue has been posted before-

thanks you- :jaw:

lostforawhile
08-09-2014, 07:55 PM
your speedo works because it's mechanical

deathblood6
09-05-2014, 05:37 PM
your speedo works because it's mechanical
To answer my own mechanical issue - my car would not start after my fuses started blowing- I could not figure out why?!fuel pump would not prime! I checked spark , fuel pump , main relay, everything that I had already serviced and replaced ! I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on!finally! I did a volt test around my fuel pump harness and sending unit - it was getting powet all over the place ! Turns out the fuel pump lost ground- even after replacing all the wiring attached to the fuel pump it did nothing to resolve the issue until I created a secondary ground for the fuel pump to the body of the car - and BAME ! Fuel pump primed up perfectly ! The car started up perfectly but I still had flashing rear bulbs and still kept blowing turn signal fuses- what is this about!?I thought and thought .. Then decided to Create new grounds to the body for the rear tail lights - BAME ! Issue solved for rear turns flashing dim- but my car still kept blowing fuses during a right hand turn ? I then created new grounds for the front drivers side blinkers and it solved the blinker fuse issue. Some place in the wiring harness for the blinkers - something lost ground - so
Instead of ripping out all the wiring I simply created new grounds and trouble shot the issue- car runs like a dream now:)$$$$$no more blown 10a fuses and no more dropped gauges - no more fuel pump not priming - :)))) lesson is ! CHEck ur grounds:))

derolph
09-06-2014, 05:53 AM
This is interesting. Can you explain exactly how you created the grounds for the turn signal lights? How did you connect the ground wires to body of the car?

lostforawhile
09-06-2014, 07:51 AM
To answer my own mechanical issue - my car would not start after my fuses started blowing- I could not figure out why?!fuel pump would not prime! I checked spark , fuel pump , main relay, everything that I had already serviced and replaced ! I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on!finally! I did a volt test around my fuel pump harness and sending unit - it was getting powet all over the place ! Turns out the fuel pump lost ground- even after replacing all the wiring attached to the fuel pump it did nothing to resolve the issue until I created a secondary ground for the fuel pump to the body of the car - and BAME ! Fuel pump primed up perfectly ! The car started up perfectly but I still had flashing rear bulbs and still kept blowing turn signal fuses- what is this about!?I thought and thought .. Then decided to Create new grounds to the body for the rear tail lights - BAME ! Issue solved for rear turns flashing dim- but my car still kept blowing fuses during a right hand turn ? I then created new grounds for the front drivers side blinkers and it solved the blinker fuse issue. Some place in the wiring harness for the blinkers - something lost ground - so
Instead of ripping out all the wiring I simply created new grounds and trouble shot the issue- car runs like a dream now:)$$$$$no more blown 10a fuses and no more dropped gauges - no more fuel pump not priming - :)))) lesson is ! CHEck ur grounds:))
you could have downloaded the electrical manual for free, from the wiki, found the issue with the grounds, fixed it and you wouldn't have had to go through all that

lostforawhile
09-07-2014, 09:05 PM
you really need to download that manual and find the actual issue, fuses shouldn't be blowing from a missing ground, this is a band aid, the only ground that can cause major damage if it's missing, is the one from the engine to the body, in that case the alternator,starter, and ignition, as well as everything else on the engine electrical, will try and seek ground through the clutch cable, speedometer cable, and throttle cable, it's not uncommon to melt a throttle cable trying to start a car with a missing engine ground. if it tries to reach ground through the speedometer cable, it can do a lot of damage or destroy the printed circuit board in the instrument cluster. That issue went away after mechanical speedometer cables did on Hondas, but used to be a common problem, pull your drivers side fender, and you'll see a grounding point where a lot of ground wires come together, these often corrode and can cause all kinds of issues like you are describing.

deathblood6
09-11-2014, 03:16 PM
thanks for the heads up - Lostforawhile :)

deathblood6
09-11-2014, 03:21 PM
i just spliced the original ground wires from the turn signals and grounded them to bare metal with a secondary ground wire. So far its been amazing - but lostforawhile made an excellent, and most helpful point- am most deff going to remove my fender and search for this harness bundle. I have a big three upgrade under the hood for the best possible ground for my engine block, and battery. Its a crazy issue- but hmmm

deathblood6
09-11-2014, 03:24 PM
lostforawhile- thanks so much for your help - really appreciate you taking the time to help me trouble shoot my issue,and posting this info :) will most def be taking off my fender this weekend to search for the harness bundle- I also recently just purchased a detailed, and dedicated user guide to electrical trouble shooting for the 89 Honda accord ( shop version)

lostforawhile
09-11-2014, 06:24 PM
lostforawhile- thanks so much for your help - really appreciate you taking the time to help me trouble shoot my issue,and posting this info :) will most def be taking off my fender this weekend to search for the harness bundle- I also recently just purchased a detailed, and dedicated user guide to electrical trouble shooting for the 89 Honda accord ( shop version)
there should be a big connector bolted under there with a lot of grounds attached to it, thats the first place I would check, did you download the electrical manual from the wiki? edit i see you bought it, qwll it's good to have the book in your hand, but all the manuals are free to download

lostforawhile
09-11-2014, 06:38 PM
look next to your steering column under the dash, your car must have some slight differences, odd, my diagram only shows a couple of ground wires under the fender, but mine had about six, must be minor differences, that one under your dash is for all the instruments etc