PDA

View Full Version : install police scanner

86accordlxi-fi
12-09-2002, 08:27 AM
does anyone know how to install a police scanner, i want to mount it under the driver seat, and wire it to my stock car antenna. any help would be appreciated

Mike's89AccordLX
12-09-2002, 09:20 AM
Where can you get police scanners?

87accordlxph
12-09-2002, 09:37 AM
NICE!

People that live in Ontario can't use that.
Would be nice though.

-Mike

Vanilla Sky
12-09-2002, 12:08 PM
this belongs in audio... but anyway...

just wire the power and ground like the instructions say, and go get a splitter for your antenna wire then run the anteena wire down, under the carpet, to the scanner...

you may be better off with a seperate antenna, though

Derick

89accordboi
12-09-2002, 02:42 PM
how much does it cost to get a po-po scanner?

pmip
12-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 89accordboi
how much does it cost to get a po-po scanner?

I've seen them run between $100-$400, but I'm sure you could get used ones cheaper or better ones for more money. Click me (http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F001%5F002%5F007%5F000&Page=1&find=police%20scanner(keyword))

dXsquared
12-09-2002, 03:05 PM
in Ontario u can use those... all they do is listen to the cops talkin... i have one, its hand held. it has saved my ass many times... its like "all units in the **** area, respond to a street racing report" shit like that, then u boot it!

Travis

dosh8er
12-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
it has saved my ass many times... its like "all units in the **** area, respond to a street racing report" shit like that, then u boot it!

Travis

:rolleyes:
That's why those are illegal. (At least in Michigan, afaik).

dXsquared
12-09-2002, 03:19 PM
well in Ontario, u can get them at Radio Shak!!

Travis

dosh8er
12-09-2002, 03:22 PM
you can buy them at radio shack here too.. but that doesn't mean that you can install them in your car..

dXsquared
12-09-2002, 03:24 PM
AHHH i see... well mine isnt installed, it just sits on the dash!

its portable adn if the PO PO stop my ass, it goes under the seat with all my other illegal parifenilia!!

Travis

Defiant[YD]
12-10-2002, 07:50 PM
oh shit? yah right??? they sell them at radioshack??? damn, the new things u learn everyday...

netfreak
12-10-2002, 08:17 PM
Most radioshack stores no longer carry police scanners. The only one in the 2003 catalog is a Uniden Trunk Tracker II running at $499 CDN. American stores may carry them, but the old radioshack scanners are mostly discontinued.

HostileJava
12-11-2002, 01:02 PM
I beleive that's because they no longer work, police use different frequency's now don't they.

87accordlxph
12-12-2002, 09:23 AM
Police scanners are legal until you caught ofcourse, same goes w/ the radar/lazer detector.

Whitehonda
12-12-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by dosh8er
:rolleyes:
That's why those are illegal. (At least in Michigan, afaik).

dosh8er,

Where in the hell in MI do you live?!?!

There is no way in hell that police scanners are illegal. The only thing that would be illegal, would be if you could transmit on the freq. that they talk on. As far as listening goes, you can listen until your ears bleed, and it's totally legal!!

I used to work at a place that did selling worked on and installed all kinds of 2 way communications in police cars, fire trucks, etc.
We would actually get old radios that the police station would trade in, and it would still have all there freq. in the radio, we had to destroy the transmit cryastals (basicly make it a big fat scanner) and then we could sell them to who ever.

Cameron

Whitehonda
12-12-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 87accordlxph
Police scanners are legal until you caught ofcourse, same goes w/ the radar/lazer detector.

This verys from state to state, but radar/laser detectors are not illegal at all in Michigan. Although usually the cop will give you the ticket right away if he notices the detector, with no chance to get out of the ticket, I think it pisses them off. Then again, they are totally illegal in VA, and I am not sure where else. Just clearing up any mis information.

Cameron

pmip
12-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Whitehonda
This verys from state to state, but radar/laser detectors are not illegal at all in Michigan. Although usually the cop will give you the ticket right away if he notices the detector, with no chance to get out of the ticket, I think it pisses them off. Then again, they are totally illegal in VA, and I am not sure where else. Just clearing up any mis information.

Yeah, radar/laser detectors are perfectly legal here too, and I thought laser detectors were legal everywhere (mainly because they don't really work).

Whitehonda
12-12-2002, 08:11 PM
They do, but to such a degree where they might as well not. Although laser is a pain in the ass for the police as well. They must have it physically out the window (no glass can be in the way) so it's most often a "gun" type. We all know most cops are lazy, they would much rather use there front and rear dash mounted radar guns, rather than hang there fat arm out the window.

Cameron

pmip
12-12-2002, 08:23 PM
Ok, let me rephrase that, I agree, they work, but they only let you know when you've already been hit by it. And for using laser, cops have to be stopped (it has to be really steady because it's such a fine beam). Because they have to be used outside (and typically on stands), they are normally easy to notice too. So yeah, they don't use it very often, but when they do, no laser detector will really help you out. Too bad cops around here use it (and have been known to dress up as surveyors well using it, so no one really thinks to slow down). I'm actually helping to design a laser gun (for police) in one of my EE classes right now, it's a pretty cool thing to learn about. :super:

Whitehonda
12-12-2002, 08:39 PM
I agree with you there, You said it, by the time you are alerted your screwed. Those damn cops can be sneaky, I hate those hidden speed traps.

All the facts you stated were true, must be stopped, very steady, and not going threw a glass window. Thankfully, I they don't have hardly any of those "speed traps" around where I live.

Thats cool your helping design a lasar gun... Wish my classes were that interesting, I am stuck with all the stupid basics this semister.

Cameron

3rdGenFanatic
12-12-2002, 09:08 PM
I don't know what you mean.. but I get the dashmounted signals on my detector well before I see the cop. I get one LED, then two, three four, five and there he comes over the hill. Scanner sounds like a fun idea though.

pmip
12-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by 3rdGenFanatic
I don't know what you mean.. but I get the dashmounted signals on my detector well before I see the cop. I get one LED, then two, three four, five and there he comes over the hill. Scanner sounds like a fun idea though.

You're probably picking up radar, not laser. Radar is really wide and bouces off everything, so it's easy to pick it up from a ways away. A laser beam is really thin, so once you pick it up with the detector, you know the cop was aiming directly at you.

HostileJava
12-13-2002, 07:30 AM
I think that laser detectors are worth having, but only if you have a fast car, you get to know the cop tagged you and it's time to step on it and get out of there :D

mkymonkey
10-25-2006, 12:14 AM
lol ^^^

i have a radar detector in the civic. its kinda cool cuz it even tells you when you have any emergency vehicle behind you. its perfect for when you have the radio up and all the windows up as well.

sometimes it goes crazy though and starts like yelling at me in that sexy voice it comes with. but it has saved me many a time :D

Cheeseburger
10-25-2006, 12:17 AM
what brand do u have???

mkymonkey
10-25-2006, 12:18 AM
i believe its a viper...

Cheeseburger
10-25-2006, 12:29 AM
how much was it?

mkymonkey
10-25-2006, 12:39 AM
uh...120

MessyHonda
10-25-2006, 07:50 AM
uh...120

can you find one on ebay:thumbup:
did you say what model?...i need one after my 129 buck ticket

Cheeseburger
10-25-2006, 07:54 AM
ive been thinking about one since i got a ticket for speeding :(

mkymonkey
10-25-2006, 08:00 AM
i dont know what model it is. i didnt buy it, my brother gave it to me

MessyHonda
10-25-2006, 08:48 AM
i dont know what model it is. i didnt buy it, my brother gave it to me

lucky you....

mkymonkey
10-25-2006, 08:53 AM
well it came with his car lmao

TdotWarrior
10-26-2006, 05:21 PM
its portable adn if the PO PO stop my ass, it goes under the seat with all my other illegal parifenilia!!
Travis

ROFL!!! :werd:

nskforlife
11-19-2006, 08:40 PM
i found an adapter to use your regular antenna for a scanner, without losing your radio.

see rado runs on a different frequency as a scanner (hints why you don pic up cop signals on the radio)

i'll try to find the link to it, it's only like 20-30$ not bad for stock looking scanner antenna. haha

here it is http://www.logjamelectronics.com/paradypdc64.html