PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem

89accordboi
12-09-2002, 02:49 PM
i already posted about this but i dont know where it is now, but my clutch engages really late. i have like 5-6 inches from the floor before it starts engaging. i went to adjust my clutch cable but i dont know how much to adjust it, when i tried to adjust it the first time it was really hard but someone told me to pull up on the cable and that worked great, how much slack do i want and stuff, liike should i turn it right/clockwise until it starts giving a lot of tension? cuz i odntk now how many turns to turn it, and i dont konw whether i should tighten it or loosen it, i think i have to loosen it but i dont know this is basically the first time i've ever worked on a car. :rolleyes:

dXsquared
12-09-2002, 03:16 PM
just make it tight, then put the car in gear and start it. then loosen it if its worse, and tighten it more if it needs it!

Travis

socal3rdgen
12-09-2002, 03:20 PM
the tighter it is the later you will engage assuming you have never adjusted it. the looser you adjust it it engages earlier.

AZmike
12-09-2002, 04:45 PM
It should be set so that there is just a little slack (6 mm I think) in the clutch cable. You may be able to move the enagement point by setting it otherwise, but you may end up with a clutch that never fully engages and slips until it wears out early with too much tension in the cable. Too little tension and it will never disengage and starting from 1st and going into reverse will grind your gears.