PDA

View Full Version : normal sound?

89accordboi
12-09-2002, 02:54 PM
my car is kinda loud from the outside at idle, i have been told i need a valve adjustment but i dont know. what should it normally sound like? like if its in good condition should it be pretty quiet? cuz i dont like it when its loud cuz poeple thing its a pos car and stuff, i want it sounding nice. i dont want to just dampen it with a catback and exhaust (which im going to do anyways after winter)

socal3rdgen
12-09-2002, 03:27 PM
ok man you ask us but you dont believe us. how many different ppl do you need to tell you before you listen. :rant: have you ever thought of taking it to a mechanic for a free check up. theres only so much a person can do via the net. i have yet to hear a 3rd gen that idles like a brand new car. mines not to bad but i also have efi. most of the carb ive heard dont always idle the best.

89accordboi
12-09-2002, 09:48 PM
im sorrryyy i dont want to be hated here, u guys have a lot of knowledge of 3rd gen accords and other stuff that would become very useful to me. i do have an appointment to get a tune up that includes a valve adjustment so im gonna see what he says about it after that. sorry if i seem stupid i just want to know whats best for my baby :(

socal3rdgen
12-10-2002, 09:40 AM
i was just ranting cuz a few ppl have already suggested ideas on how to fix it or what to look for if anything is even wrong. no hard feelings i was just ranting

89 Accords Rock
01-13-2003, 08:26 AM
okay. the sound that you are hearing is your exhaust valve. usually they come outta play being so old. i suggest you get a feeler gage and check your depths, in your accord manual is the whole outline as to which each vavle should be set at.

A20A1
01-13-2003, 05:11 PM
Also the valve clearances are printed under the hood on a sticker.

ACCORD EX
01-14-2003, 01:56 AM
how can i describe how the car normally sounds !?:D

MIKE

shepherd79
01-14-2003, 05:02 AM
the car should sound like a kitten. i think it is nice describtion.