PDA

View Full Version : FYI...if your cooling fans won't come on....

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-09-2002, 10:53 PM
If you've been having trouble with your cooling fans coming on, even after you've replaced every sensor, you may want to take a looksy at this: the fan timer/control unit

http://www.geocities.com/jdpenttinen/front.txt
http://www.geocities.com/jdpenttinen/back.txt

I have suspected this thing for awile now, but never checked it. Well I pulled it out tonight, and look what I found! Notice the 3 diodes just to the right of the black square plug, they're burnt and melted to hell. You can see on the back side as well where they burnt. Guess this explains why the fans refused to work, lol. I'm not sure if this was a common thing on our 3geez or not, but I've heard of other peeps having some trouble with them also.

I haven't gotten another one yet, but I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to find one (and I'll make sure it isn't burt too). I'm almost positive that will fix the problem

Just wanted to share :)

dosh8er
12-10-2002, 09:53 AM
as far as electronics goes...

there's a reason for those diodes being burned/charred like that. It's probably not the diodes, but the circuit. Meaning somewhere something's not right, and gave the diodes WAY too much current.

Hrm.. if you're not going to use that old one.. could you send it to me? I'd check it out w/ a meter.. look at all the resistors and the diodes.. this has got me curious.. this might have something to do w/ the fans staying on way too long after car shut off.

where is that located ? might be good to take a look.

Blue Impact
12-10-2002, 11:27 AM
Ok, what happens if your fan comes on all the time? Mines would come on if the car's been on for at least 5 minutes. With the fans like this, I have fooled a lot of people to believe that I have turbo. They'll be like "your car's still on" or "your car is cooling down bad" and I'll say "no, it's just my turbo cooling down" and they'll believe that.

But seriously though, does anyone know why the fans come on like that?

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-10-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Blue Impact
Ok, what happens if your fan comes on all the time? Mines would come on if the car's been on for at least 5 minutes. With the fans like this, I have fooled a lot of people to believe that I have turbo. They'll be like "your car's still on" or "your car is cooling down bad" and I'll say "no, it's just my turbo cooling down" and they'll believe that.

But seriously though, does anyone know why the fans come on like that?
Ya know, that sounds kinda similar to what mine were doing. On occasion the sub cooling fan (the one that comes on after the car is off) would come on at the weirdest times. Sometimes I'd walk outside in the morning after it's been sitting all night long (even in the cold), and the fan is just whirring away, lol. Never stayed on for longer than it was supposed to though. For yours it could possibly be a stuck relay or something along those lines as well.

dosh8er: It's located right under the passenger seat (see pic, but no makin fun of all my carpet stainage :rolleyes: )
http://www.geocities.com/jdpenttinen/fancontrol.txt
If you want the old one that's no problem. Just PM me your address info and I'll send it out. You probably know a hell alot more about this stuff than I do! lol

I got another one at the junkyard today and got it installed, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I also replaced both temp sensors in the thermostat housing, so maybe that was part of it as well. We'll see :)

cruznz
12-11-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by dosh8er
as far as electronics goes...

there's a reason for those diodes being burned/charred like that. It's probably not the diodes, but the circuit. Meaning somewhere something's not right, and gave the diodes WAY too much current.

Hrm.. if you're not going to use that old one.. could you send it to me? I'd check it out w/ a meter.. look at all the resistors and the diodes.. this has got me curious.. this might have something to do w/ the fans staying on way too long after car shut off.

where is that located ? might be good to take a look.

i'd be interested to hear what you find out.....would be good to see a tech diagram of timer internals..........:smokin:

greekguy7
12-11-2002, 05:17 AM
Under the passenger seat? You mean underneath the carpeting where the passenger rests his feet or underneath the seat itself and the seat have to come out?

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by greekguy7
Under the passenger seat? You mean underneath the carpeting where the passenger rests his feet or underneath the seat itself and the seat have to come out?
Just like it sounds -- under the passenger seat. Just take out the 4 bolts holding it in and tip it up.

I tried out the new one today and it works perfectly! WooHoo! Both fans come right when they're supposed to, and cycle on and off to keep her nice and cool :)

dj99
12-11-2002, 10:05 AM
Nice detective work dood! :D

offthahook
12-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Jared, I ain't hatin' on your dirty ass carpet... BUT you have a maroon floor mat in that ivory interior. Wazup??

87accordlxi
12-11-2002, 02:56 PM
ah, all you need to fix that is a trip to radio shack for diodes and a soldering iron.

but i would worry if it shorted anything else out when it burned up

88lxDCOE
12-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Thanks. Thats a good tech thread. My fans dont come on at all anymore either.

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-11-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by offthahook
Jared, I ain't hatin' on your dirty ass carpet... BUT you have a maroon floor mat in that ivory interior. Wazup??
:lol I bought those off ebay a couple months ago. They looked more brownish in the pictures (which is what my originals were), but they turned out to be more maroonish instead. Oh well, they'll do until I can find some more at the junkyard. I NEVER see any LX-i's with the ivory interior at the junkyard :mad:

Joe: lol, you should have seen the last thing I tried to solider. I had one of those strobe light kits, with the circuit board, and all diodes, resistors, capacitors, and whatever else, just solider everything together. Well, needless to say, it didn't work :rolleyes: :lol . That's alright, they only charged me $3.50 for the part ($102 new from Honda :eek: ). I also got a shitload of other little misc parts (speedo w/working trip odometer and gauge face, factory fog light switch, cruise switch, air intake tubing, misc wiring connectors, trans filler bolt, sunroof slides and shims, a few bolts and screws, and the fan controller) all for $25. Can't beat that!