PDA

View Full Version : need help for 1986 Prelude carbs

catrond
08-24-2014, 04:20 PM
I just bought an 86 prelude base coup. the guy I bought it from said it was leaking gas out of the carbs and had already removed the air filter assembly. the car runs but gas shoots out of the brass tubes sticking out of the carbs and one of the rubber hoses that plugs into the back of the air filter assembly base. any advice

Dr_Snooz
08-24-2014, 07:22 PM
I think it's time for a carb rebuild.

lostforawhile
08-24-2014, 08:41 PM
good luck, the dealers couldn't fix those things when they were new, only one can be rebuilt, there is a primary carb and a secondary carb, I cant remember off the top of my head, but if one is bad they both have to be replaced as a set

Hazwan
08-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Sounds like leaky float needle. I'd pull it apart and inspect the float itself or if theres any dirt or something blocking the needle.

And there is no primary and secondary carb on this. Unless its the CVCC ones where theres a tiny carb in the middle

lostforawhile
08-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Sounds like leaky float needle. I'd pull it apart and inspect the float itself or if theres any dirt or something blocking the needle.

And there is no primary and secondary carb on this. Unless its the CVCC ones where theres a tiny carb in the middle
are we talking about the two side draft ones? everything I have says if the primary one is bad they have to replaced as a set, it's a strange design, thats probably why it didnt last long, I dont mess with those, but my book is saying one carb is the primary and one secondary they dont function as two carbs but as two barrels of one carb

lostforawhile
08-24-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm going through my book now, I have the Chilton's, which is actually pretty detailed on these carbs etc, I know the on sub carb, you can't adjust the float at all, it says if it's bad the float has to be replaced. you might have better luck on these over at prelude power, even looking at the emissions control diagram for these gives me a migraine

Hazwan
08-25-2014, 03:29 AM
Have you even looked at the carb itself? They are 2 separate carbs feeding 2 cylinder banks

The float is adjustable by bending the tang on the float arm.

They aren't as bad as you say it is. They're nothing more than 2 bike carbs. The only thing that get complicated would be the millions of vacuum lines. If you have the diagram and manual for it you'd be fine provided that you know the fuck you're doing.

I wonder how I know so much about these carbs... maybe because I own one and had them rebuilt a couple of times before?

lostforawhile
08-25-2014, 07:15 AM
Have you even looked at the carb itself? They are 2 separate carbs feeding 2 cylinder banks

They aren't as bad as you say it is. They're nothing more than 2 bike carbs. The only thing that get complicated would be the millions of vacuum lines. If you have the diagram and manual for it you'd be fine provided that you know the fuck you're doing.

I wonder how I know so much about these carbs... maybe because I own one and had them rebuilt a couple of times before?

thats what I was going to ask you , if you had worked on them, I'm just going by the service manuals and what they say, I'll leave you to the lude carbs and I'll stick with the SU's :rockon:

lostforawhile
09-01-2014, 02:07 PM

I wonder how I know so much about these carbs... maybe because I own one and had them rebuilt a couple of times before?are you talking about the non USDM ones? , just thought about that, the ones that are for USDM emissions are stupidly complicated and choked with vaccume lines and controls, my book shows a much simpler carb out of the US, might be a good idea to import them and swap them, I would like to see some of the ones that dont have all the junk on them