PDA

View Full Version : i can't believe that !

ACCORD EX
05-18-2002, 07:17 AM
man i can't believe it ! my brother poured gas into the radiator !!! :crying: :crying:

now i am gonna need to flush the damn thing !

what should i fill it with ! ? ( 50 : 50 mixture is that right , should i put anything before that ! ) BTW it 's hot where i live and never freezes !

i 've viewed your how to ERIC pretty nice one ! but in my car when i look underneath the car there is a cover the covers the the engine from beneath ! do i hav eto remove that ! ??

thnx

MIKE

Bobs89LXi
05-18-2002, 09:16 AM
Honda recommends a 50/50 mixture of water and coolant. The coolant serves other purposes besides cooling and keeping the water from freezing. It also lubricates the water pump, keeps the water jacket clean and rust free, as well as the radiator. I would do a thorough flush, not just the cheap stuff you buy at the auto parts store that you pour into the radiator, run the engine for a few minutes, and drain. I am curious to know what made your brother pour gas into the radiator.

POS carb
05-18-2002, 09:33 AM
yes, I too would like to know how gasoline managed to get poured in the radiator? Did he think there was water in the can? Good thing you found out before driving it!! :eek:

As for draining it yea you will have to remove that splash shield but I'd recommend leaving it off, makes repairs a lot easier.

If you do not live in an area where the climate reaches freezing it's recommended that you use straight water (filtered preferred) with a rust-inhibiting product (I use Prestone Super Anti-Rust) because the coolant is proven to only raise the boiling point by less than 10 degrees but coolant makes the water more viscus and transfers heat less effectively (Car Craft did a cooling article and they get their info from top companies, that's where this info comes from)

There is also a drain plug on the block behind the exhaust manifold, that gives you a better flush but it is not necessary.

ACCORD EX
05-18-2002, 01:52 PM
thank guys for the replies !
about the gas thing the tank for the water was just like the gas one so he didn't know ! but why the fuck he didn't smell it !!? :confused: :eek: ...
can someone post please tell the sequence of flushing :
which stuff to pour first !!
any anti rust stuff ! or should i put the mixture right away !!
and i am kinda confused which to pu t: 1. 50:50 mixture or 2. regular water ! :confused: :confused: :confused:

MIKE

ACCORD EX
05-19-2002, 12:53 PM
anybody ! ? look above !

thnx !

MIKE

ACCORD EX
05-19-2002, 02:44 PM
ok i found it all in my user guide ! :D
just have one question ! do i have to open the air bleed plug ! and if have to is it the one marked in the pic below !
thnx guys ! :)

MIKE

1988starter
05-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Yea that is the bleader and I am sorry that is odd Just a question how old is he. And yes do open it it will let the air out when you refill it or else you will have air in you radiator hoses.

ACCORD EX
05-20-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by 1988starter
Yea that is the bleader and I am sorry that is odd Just a question how old is he.

what do you mean by how old is he ? :)

MIKE

shepherd79
05-20-2002, 04:22 AM
hey man,
if you gonna just flush the radiator, most of your coolant still be in the engine block.
I used the prestone flush system. you will have to splice into heater hose, attach the water hose and it will flush the hole system. i had brown water and coolant running out even after i flushed the radiator.
you can get this flush system at autozone or any other parts store.
good luck with flushing you system.

1988starter
05-20-2002, 04:31 AM
What I ment was how old is the brother that dumped gas into your radiator.

ACCORD EX
05-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 1988starter
What I ment was how old is the brother that dumped gas into your radiator.

23 !! :lol !
anyway things happen , and i didn't flush it since along time !

MIKE

CoAsTeR
05-20-2002, 10:02 PM
damn.... thats an air bleed valve? I've re-filled my rad like 23908572305 times and its always been a bitch to get the air out and all this time...... theres an air bleed valve heh.............. I'll flush her tomorrow, she needs it anyways :)

Don't feel bad, I poured penzoil motor oil in my rad not toooo long ago........ DOH!!@#$!@$!!
:stupid:

ACCORD EX
05-20-2002, 11:08 PM
does anybody know how this air bleed valve works ! with a screw driver or how !?

MIKE

shepherd79
05-21-2002, 04:21 AM
if i remember correct i did this way. after flushing my system i filed up with coolant. i started the engine and allowed to warm up. After that i took 12mm( i think this is right size) and unscrewed the bleader. (don't forget to open your heater, move to the red zone). You should see some air coming out. it did on car, but i will stop and coolant will come out at this moment you should tighten the nut. that is it.
oh yeah, if you haven't replaced termostat in a while. i would recomend to do it now. or you will be like my friend on his 3G accord. His termostat was broked in half. i didn't know how he was driving like that.
Haynes manual explains better about replacing termostats. i got my manual from autozone, but anyone should sell.
Plus i think everyone should have Chiltons and Haynes manuals.
good luck.

ACCORD EX
05-21-2002, 06:55 AM
thanls shepherd79 ! :)

but i really don't wanna mess with my thermostat !

thnx again ! :D

MIKE

POS carb
05-21-2002, 11:27 AM
use rubbing alcohol!

Really, drain your radiator first, plug it up, pour in a few bottles of rubbing alcohol, and then fill the rest with water, and then drain it. Gasoline won't mix with water, but an old trick if you ever have water in your gas tank is to pour in a bottle of rubbing alcohol because it creates a medium for the polar and non polar molecules to attract (in this case the water and the gas) and they get burned away in combustion, so anyway do that and then I'd recommend removing the thermostat and the radiator drain plug, shove a hose in the radiator cap hole and just let the water flow for a minute to flush out as much as you can. You might want to try a radiator cleaning treatment (Prestone makes a cleaner) and you are supposed to run it for a few days (10 engine hours I believe) and then you flush it with water.

ACCORD EX
05-22-2002, 06:41 AM
i think i 'll follow my user guide instructions !

thnx for all the replies guys , thnx ERIC ! :super:

MIKE