PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen sensor removal??

greekguy7
12-10-2002, 11:21 AM
My PGM- FI light has been coming on for some time... code 1. This is the oxygen sensor.

Anyone remove this sensor on their car?? Is it in there pretty tight after 218k miles on an 1987 LXi? I dont wanna mess with it if there is a chance of messing up the exhaust manifold.

Also, I beleive there are two O2 sensors on this car. Is code 1 for the one in the exhaust manifold? Where is the second sensor located?

2old_honda
12-10-2002, 11:40 AM
the second sensor is right next to the other one.

BLck89accord
12-10-2002, 07:52 PM
my light came on while my exhaust was spittin' and sputtering' (after my DC sports header was installed and the O2 sensor holes are placed in order differently than on the stock manifold), which just happened to be caused by my O2 sensors being crossed up. Might wanna check that, or all in in, 1 or both could be bad.

AccordEpicenter
12-10-2002, 10:51 PM
umm wait, 87 had one oxygen sensor , 88-89 had 2...

greekguy7
12-11-2002, 05:27 AM
How tight you think it would be in there?

I heard of some people say they were able to unscrew it as easily as a spark plug while others say they had to get a torch on it.

I dont wanna risk cracking my exhaust manifold.

1988starter
12-11-2002, 06:30 AM
First get annti seize to put on it then get a special spark plug socket or do what I did remove the conector then spip a box head over it and use a pipe for leverage.

Whitehonda
12-11-2002, 06:51 AM
It would be pretty hard to get that son of a bitch oxygen sensor after 218k, mine was hard as hell to get off after 180k. I was installing a DC header, so I took the stock manifold off (with the sensors still in it) and then took a big ass wrench to them (pounding and screaming). This was all out of the engine compartment, so I think your gona have a hell of a time while the manifold is still on the car.

Cameron

smufguy
12-11-2002, 07:09 AM
on the carb, since it was on the side, i just sprayed WD40 on it, let it sit there for a while and then used a pipe wrench to open that sucker up, but i need to get a second one, but apparently, my car has not been throwing codes with running on just one O2 sensor so far.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
12-11-2002, 01:41 PM
Removing the O2 sensor on hour cars can be quite difficult. The O2 sensor may be stuck in the exhaust manifold and their is very little room to use a large wrench required to remove the sensor.

My buddy who's a tech had a wrench with a pivoting head that made the removal very easy. The Honda O2 sensors are quite expensive and run about $120-$140. I think you can find some OEMs from NGK from Autozone with the native Honda connector.

I have been told that you should not splice O2 sensor harnesses because they run on resistance and that splicing causes an increase in resistance (any truth to that?).

Claude

AccordEpicenter
12-11-2002, 05:13 PM
umm I think they run on voltage, the sensor generates its own voltage, but if you splice the wiring carefully, (solder it, make a clean joint) then i dont see any problem with it. The connectors and the wiring harness introduces its own resistance, but a carefully spliced wire shouldnt make that much of a difference