PDA

View Full Version : Re-Engined- Weberized-CNG fueled 85 Hatchback LX

JKP
08-28-2014, 02:27 PM
The story of my 85 Accord HB LX .... bought it used in 1989 when I graduated from college and got my first real paycheck ... put 340K on the engine with nothing more than routine maintenance ... blew a head gasket in 2012 and parked it finally .... it never once left me stranded on the road. What a great car !
Now I am beginning the next chapter and hope to drive it for another 20 years. I found a professionally rebuilt long block on Ebay for $450 .... I'm halfway through putting the new engine together. Will convert to the Weber 32/36 and then once I get it running right and everything else in good shape mechanically, I'm going to install a CNG conversion kit and run it as a duel fuel vehicle. Where I live a "GGE" (gallon gasoline equivalent) of CNG costs about $1.50 or cheaper if you have your own home compressor.
Pics will be forthcoming for this probably two year project .... I'm looking forward to some advice and motivation from this great forum !
For starters if anyone has done this or knows of any links or threads I should read please let me know.
:idea:

lostforawhile
08-28-2014, 03:29 PM
great idea, Dr. Snooze will be chiming in on this one shortly, he especially enjoys the alternative fuel,oil,etc type posts :thumbup:

Dr_Snooz
08-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Right you are, Lost! LOL

@JKP, you mention a home compressor? How do I learn more about that? I've been doing a lot of research in to woodgas and am currently gathering the materials to build a gasifier. Among other things, I'd like to compress the stuff into propane cylinders and use it instead of propane. I saw a guy on YouTube doing that very thing with an ordinary air compressor. I was intrigued, but it just seemed like a really good way to blow up your garage and kill yourself in the process. I'd like to do some reading on how to do it in a safe way.

My plan is to go off-grid using some kind of alternative or free energy, but that field is so complicated.

Sounds like an exciting project. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hazwan
08-29-2014, 02:44 PM
My father has his cars converted to CNG. One being fuel injected and the other one is carbureted. And carbureted ducked balls. It's so slow and very inefficient with the mixer thinggy sitting on top of the carb month restricting 90% of the intake flow but the fuel savings are worth it I guess.

I would only do it with efi system though since the power loss is unnoticeable.

JKP
09-03-2014, 08:11 AM
There are some CNG home compressors out there, but the company which produced the first production type marketed for home use "Phill" BRC Fuelmaker, I think has gone out of business .... I have read of and heard of some other types possibly in development, but I'm not really up on the latest. My guess is that with the natural gas industry taking off by way of expanding and improved "fracking" technology, I assume that it wont be long until the CNG fueled vehicle market heats up as well. Also, it's really big in Utah for some reason .... I gotta look more into that.
I agree with you though that it could be a risky proposition to try to build your own compression system unless you really know that kind of stuff ... It's really high pressure, and since it is explosive, I think home systems that tie into your gas main will be regulated, and I believe pretty strict maint requirements for the systems. So I am still looking into it .

JKP
09-03-2014, 08:14 AM
My father has his cars converted to CNG. One being fuel injected and the other one is carbureted. And carbureted ducked balls. It's so slow and very inefficient with the mixer thinggy sitting on top of the carb month restricting 90% of the intake flow but the fuel savings are worth it I guess.

I would only do it with efi system though since the power loss is unnoticeable.

Do you know where your father got his conversion kits ? Anybody know why scientifically why FI induction would work better than Carb induction for CNG ?