PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Accord will not start

CyberAccord187
08-30-2014, 09:11 AM
A couple months ago I had I installed the weber 38/38 on my accord with no prior knowledge of carburetors and very little knowledge of cars in general, when I got it installed and cranked it over my engine shook hard and It started blowing white smoke out the exhaust, I changed the head gasket in fear that I blew it and now my car will not start at all but it will turn over, any advice? Like I said I basically have no idea what I'm doing I'm only 19

Oldblueaccord
08-30-2014, 11:03 AM
A couple months ago I had I installed the weber 38/38 on my accord with no prior knowledge of carburetors and very little knowledge of cars in general, when I got it installed and cranked it over my engine shook hard and It started blowing white smoke out the exhaust, I changed the head gasket in fear that I blew it and now my car will not start at all but it will turn over, any advice? Like I said I basically have no idea what I'm doing I'm only 19

Assuming you have the manual or you can get it here.

1. go thru the timing again. If you had the head off then you messed with the timing belt. you want the marks up at TDC. TDC is compression stroke,both valve closed.

2. You may have to go back to your old carb just to get it running if you still have it. But assuming the webber carb is new and the float is set it should at least start IF the carb has fuel in it. Meaning fuel bowls full.

Remember you just need spark and fuel and timed at the right time and its running. Sounds easy but not always.

CyberAccord187
09-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Okay I think I figured it out, I guess I did blow my old head gasket cause my oil looks like coffee creamer is 3 times as full as it should be

lostforawhile
09-02-2014, 04:35 PM
did you install the adapter plate? if you dont it will blow coolant out of the passage for the old carb, and right into the intake, there is a coolant port right in the top of the manifold

CyberAccord187
10-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Okay no I just realized this, I did not know about this coolant passage until yesterday, but I'm very confused on where exactly it is, do you have any pictures of it perhaps?