PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold conversion ?

JoshydillingerLX
08-30-2014, 06:53 PM
In my 88 Lx I have a stock motor &I do not like the look of the intake on top of the motor. What conversions can I do give it a not so retro look?http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/30/88c4b393737cb272d3eed8ea68f48110.jpg

JoshydillingerLX
08-30-2014, 06:54 PM
to give it*

lostforawhile
08-30-2014, 10:46 PM
In my 88 Lx I have a stock motor &I do not like the look of the intake on top of the motor. What conversions can I do give it a not so retro look?http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/30/88c4b393737cb272d3eed8ea68f48110.jpg

the intake isnt on top of the motor, thats the air cleaner, the carburetor is on top of the intake

Ichiban
08-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Keep the fucking hood shut then.

lostforawhile
08-31-2014, 03:44 AM
it's going to look "retro" because it's a vintage car

JoshydillingerLX
08-31-2014, 04:00 AM
Okay thanks lostforawhile, I'm still a rookie at this. I'm just going to do a swap &get a b18a or a h22

JoshydillingerLX
08-31-2014, 04:02 AM
Keep the fucking hood shut then.
Keep ya mouth shut first.

JoshydillingerLX
08-31-2014, 04:22 AM
it's going to look "retro" because it's a vintage car

the intake isnt on top of the motor, thats the air cleaner, the carburetor is on top of the intake
Okay thanks lostforawhile, I'm still a rookie at this. I'm just going to do a swap &get a b18a or a h22

MessyHonda
08-31-2014, 06:21 AM
first convert the car to fuel injection unless you want to run a vtec engine on carbs. that would be sick. swaps are not so cheap. I have a GSR in mine

JoshydillingerLX
08-31-2014, 07:04 AM
first convert the car to fuel injection unless you want to run a vtec engine on carbs. that would be sick. swaps are not so cheap. I have a GSR in mine
Yeah I know, I want to really know my car before I swap it. I will upcoming summer. What parts will I need to do that?

JoshydillingerLX
08-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Seems like a lot of work, they say I have to pull the motor. I will wait to do that so converting is out of the question for me right now

lostforawhile
08-31-2014, 09:46 AM
why not find a parts car and do the carb to EFI swap? you can get a lot of power out of these old A20's, all the parts are factory, so it's not that bad to do, do some research and see what you can do to them, you can use carbs too, but if you are looking for a lot of power go EFI, your other option is to get a kit from someone like Pierce manifolds, and do a webber swap, much better carb, and no issues like the quarter century old factory nightmare

lostforawhile
08-31-2014, 09:50 AM
heres the complete kit from Pierce, including a new carb to convert to a webber, you'll be much happier if you dont have emissions WEBER CONVERSION<br><font color="red">K728</font> (http://www.piercemanifolds.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=K728)

JoshydillingerLX
08-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Would I have to take out the engine to install this?

lostforawhile
08-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Would I have to take out the engine to install this?

why would you have to remove the engine to install a carburetor?

JoshydillingerLX
08-31-2014, 02:28 PM
I was looking it up &I read that you have to, to do a good job. But if I don't have to that makes it 10x better

lostforawhile
08-31-2014, 02:35 PM
I was looking it up &I read that you have to, to do a good job. But if I don't have to that makes it 10x betterI dont know where you read that, but the engine sure doesnt have to come out

2oodoor
08-31-2014, 03:28 PM

Neither of those are rookie moves unless youre paying someone to do it. If that is the situation then it will be as expensive or more expensive as buying a 5 yr old car plus youu will be without a car a good while during the swap because it takes a lot of time.

JoshydillingerLX
08-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Neither of those are rookie moves unless youre paying someone to do it. If that is the situation then it will be as expensive or more expensive as buying a 5 yr old car plus youu will be without a car a good while during the swap because it takes a lot of time.
Yeah I know, I have people, connects &proper tools so it won't be that long.

lostforawhile
08-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Yeah I know, I have people, connects &proper tools so it won't be that long.

but the issue is most "people" know jack shit about these cars, it's absolutely nothing like a Civic or any other Honda swap, most people will say it has a what? A20 what? never heard of that, listen to people here, if you want a lot of power, go with a FI swap, convert with one of the dizzy adapters, so you can go OBD1, and you can make a decent amount of power, or do the carb swap, you can do it in a weekend if you are handy, and the difference is night and day over that factory carb, why are you so set on a swap? this is a vintage car, the A20 is a really tough engine

JoshydillingerLX
09-01-2014, 07:56 PM
but the issue is most "people" know jack shit about these cars, it's absolutely nothing like a Civic or any other Honda swap, most people will say it has a what? A20 what? never heard of that, listen to people here, if you want a lot of power, go with a FI swap, convert with one of the dizzy adapters, so you can go OBD1, and you can make a decent amount of power, or do the carb swap, you can do it in a weekend if you are handy, and the difference is night and day over that factory carb, why are you so set on a swap? this is a vintage car, the A20 is a really tough engine
Okay I will keep that in mind, your right. Thanks for the tip.

JoshydillingerLX
09-01-2014, 07:58 PM
It's automatic first off &i want to feel comfortable with driving with the body before I get manual which is my personal preference. I wouldn't mind this engine being a standard

Oldblueaccord
09-01-2014, 09:23 PM
It's automatic first off &i want to feel comfortable with driving with the body before I get manual which is my personal preference. I wouldn't mind this engine being a standard

Maybe something like this would be a good project for you to start. I think this is the look your wanting. its called a carb hat since it does not have and air cleaner in it just a cover for the carb itself. Use google search /images carb hat. there alot of ideas there to get you start.

j3wman
09-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Step 1: sell car
Step 2: buy newer car

lostforawhile
09-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Maybe something like this would be a good project for you to start. I think this is the look your wanting. its called a carb hat since it does not have and air cleaner in it just a cover for the carb itself. Use google search /images carb hat. there alot of ideas there to get you start.

there are old threads on this, but I dont know if the pictures still work, you can sometimes find ones you can modify from throttle body injection American cars. Thats your key to these cars, modify and fabricate, don't expect things to just bolt on, there are very few aftermarket parts like that for these, if you want to go to the trouble to do this, I would do the weber conversion first, these carbs are getting really old, and it's more then a simple rebuild kit to fix some of the issues. many of the parts that fail don't come in a kit

JoshydillingerLX
09-15-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm finally putting my car on the road this Friday. I take my car for a spin every few days &when I brake, I have to press all the way down to brake &it jerks sometimes. What do I need?

JoshydillingerLX
09-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Or what's wrong ?

Oldblueaccord
09-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Might want to take this car to a professional mechanic and have them do a safety/drive ability inspection. Don't have any work done just get a list of whats wrong and estimates for work it needs. As around for a good shop that has a good rep in your area.

Bad brakes,bad trans your list is growing and its not even on the road yet.

lostforawhile
09-17-2014, 06:43 PM
OP the factory service manual is free to download off of the three geez wiki, I suggest you start there and read the entire section about your brakes, that will answer more questions then a hundred posts, the brakes probably need an overhaul, well within the scope of any backyard mechanic, they are straight forward with no surprises, check you calipers for leaks, replace all your old brake hoses, easy job, and not that expensive for rubber lines, pads and rear shoes, possibly rear cylinders, rear cylinders are so cheap, it's almost cheaper to replace then repair, master cylinder may be shot,possibly booster, everything can be done yourself, the brakes are the first thing I would go through on any car this old, being able to stop is number one priority

Norbreworb
12-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Lostforawhile: Can you post a link for a fi swap for my a1

lostforawhile
12-17-2014, 09:42 PM
for the A20, there should be a number of stickys in FI about this, you need a doner car to start with it's pretty involved

JSmythe
12-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Step 1: sell car
Step 2: buy newer car

J35 RWD conversion. Go big or go home.

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2014, 09:28 PM
j35 rwd conversion. Go big or go home.

lol

kumartypeR
06-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Hey lostforawhile i have a 1989 lxi and i want it to get more power out of it. Its an EFI...I was wondering whats an FI swap.? My accord is stock and it beats rx8 on take off automatic. I want to smoke an rx8 with a build A20. ANY advice???

lostforawhile
06-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Hey lostforawhile i have a 1989 lxi and i want it to get more power out of it. Its an EFI...I was wondering whats an FI swap.? My accord is stock and it beats rx8 on take off automatic. I want to smoke an rx8 with a build A20. ANY advice???

lots of searching and you already have FI if you have an lxi

kumartypeR
09-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Ok i have an FI what mod could i do to gain more power. I wanted to put individual throatle bodies.