PDA

View Full Version : Carb Hesitating.(need some help)

goldyaccord
12-10-2002, 07:13 PM
I've probly had this problem for a year. It happens every few months to like afew weeks sometimes.

I'd be driving... all of a sudden it would start hesitating on normal throttle/cruising speed. If I floor it, it hesitates and then jerks to accelerate.

If i let push in the clutch. It wants to die right away unless i start revving it.but it sounds like shit when i'm revving it, like the fuel filter is clogged or something. It's not the fuel filter. I've changed it afew times to MAKE sure it's not the filter.

I also noticed that when i start it up. it starts right up but then wants to die almost a second later, like gas not going in.

I had to rev it to 4,000+ rpms and almost dump the clutch to get it to accelerate, in other words.. i have to be in Secondary range for it to accelerate.

bottom line, car wont accelerate or almost keep it's speed unless the secondaries kick in. Thus the reason for me to dump the clutch at high revs.

on the way down to AZ from Oregon, my car did it again, so i pulled over and told my dad about it and he suggested it may be vapor lock. so he got in the car and turned on the pump and i took out the line so the gas could spill out.
afew seconds later i hooked the line back up again and it ran fine for about 30 mins of driving and then the hesitation came back.

For the rest of the trip to AZ , which was about 3 more hrs, i had to either let off the gas or Floor it... there was no middle ground. My foot was sooooo tired from flooring it and letting off every few secs for 3 hrs.

My assumtion from reading some of the post was, the two way vavle in the line? I dont know anything about it but....

maybe the carb needs to be rebuilt? something wrong with the main venturri?
I dunno but i want this fixed before i shoot back up to oregon or i'd be having a sore foot if it happens again on my trip.

much help would be Appreciated!!!!

Josh

Neuspeed87lx
12-10-2002, 07:36 PM
sounds liike mine ... it would only do it once and a while.... whenever i came to a stop the car would hesitate and want to die... so i would have to have my foot on the break and have the other foot on the gas trying to keep the rpms high enough so it woundnt stall.... and shift it into drive (automatic) it would do it off and on untill finally my car just would not start one time... i figued it would be fun to rebuild the carb ...so thats what i did... i got the carb rebuild kit from autozone and rebuilt it myself... kind of a pain but it took care of ALL my carb problems.... the car runs great now ... i dont even have to pump the gas to get it to start ...even on the mornings when its like 5 degrees... it starts right up on the first crank EVERYTIME ... i dont know if thats your problem but if you have the time to do it i would rebuild the carb....you learn alot from doing it too

goldyaccord
12-10-2002, 07:48 PM
That's what i'm gonna do anyways.....

but i'd thought i'd share my problem

Thanks!

1989 DX R
12-10-2002, 09:11 PM
Weber cures Keihin problems.

A20A1
12-10-2002, 11:08 PM
Make sure your booster venturies are not loose. the boosters are the round cylinders suspended inside the barrel... there is one in each barrel. just poke at them with your finger and see if they move around... if they are loose then thats the problem... I can't post pics cause I'm in Germany... but I'll try and grab some images from my site and edit them.

goldyaccord
12-11-2002, 04:12 PM
I poked em and they wont budge. I didnt touch the copper looking needle in the cylinder.. just the grey suspended barrel. They wont move. or loose or anything.

rebuilding the carb is probly the best thing i could do.

Josh

shepherd79
12-11-2002, 04:24 PM
i think you are right. your best bet is to rebuild that carb.

88lxDCOE
12-11-2002, 04:36 PM
Also when you replace fuel filters dont forget about the one in the back by the tank. It makes a big difference.

dXsquared
12-11-2002, 04:43 PM
rebuilding the carb is probly the best thing i could do.

NO ITS NOT!!! Get a Weber! I did and my car runs great... except in sub zero weather... but it still runs alright. so go get ur self a Weber!

Travis

goldyaccord
12-11-2002, 05:01 PM
I dont have 400 bucks to get a weber......

i'm gonna go down to the parts store and buy the carb rebuild kit and the floats.

All for 47.63... AZ tax included

I could get a weber but...... I need the money for my trip to oregon and to buy Christmassy gifts for my Special GF. I'm gonna be up there for christmas and new years so, lots of money i'm gonna need.

I'm only interested in getting my car to run real good right now to make that trip. Thats all that matters to me.

Josh

goldyaccord
12-11-2002, 05:02 PM
I've done both filters like 5 times!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

and i have an extra set in the car. talk about wasted money....

Josh

Neuspeed87lx
12-11-2002, 07:13 PM
whoa 47 bucks for the rebuild kit ... ? i paid 18 and i had everything... my advice when your rebuilding it.....mark alllllll those stupid hoses clearly...it will make the instalation much much easier ...

goldyaccord
12-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Why should i Mark the hoses? I only have like 3-4 hoses hooked up.

I got rid of my emmisions :D:D

Josh

Neuspeed87lx
12-11-2002, 09:27 PM
oo eerr.. i had everyone one of those damn hoses to remove and re attach... i didnt know what they were for when i rebuilt the carb so i figured i better let them stay where they were... well damn that rebuild should be a breeze then ..make sure you blow air threw all the little holes when you have the carb apart...get all the gunk outa there

goldyaccord
12-11-2002, 09:50 PM
any other tips on rebuilding the carb... tools.... anything special to make it super clean? etc.

1989 DX R
12-11-2002, 10:05 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST DON'T FLIP YOUR CARB OVER.

Trust us...Eric found that out the hard way.

:lol

Neuspeed87lx
12-12-2002, 07:38 AM
i flipped it upside down ... it still worked fine... grab a can of carb cleaner

goldyaccord
12-12-2002, 08:24 AM
Who? Me? naaaaaaaaw.. I probly wont flip it. only time i'll flip it is when we have to decide who gets to recieve or defend.

Sorry 'bout dat, I have football fever. I"m nervous about the upcoming niner-packer game.

:D

dieselhead
12-12-2002, 01:47 PM
I suggest going to the FAQ section and download the carb rebuild document. It's a most excellent blow by blow account of a carb rebuild.It's by 87 accord so it won't be too hard to spot. As far as carb flippage goes, I just rebuilt mine,and aside from a plethora of vacuum lines, it's no different from any other carb. Think clean,clean,clean.

A20A1
12-12-2002, 03:07 PM
It's the problem with the float needle getting stuck open or faling out, when you turn the carb upside down. Rare but it does happen.

goldyaccord
12-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Okay, so i'm thinking clean clean clean... :D

I ordered the kit plus the floats too. They will come in tommorrow around 4.. so i hope to get it done by sat nite for my cruise...... :D

then sunday is couch potato day and blast the refs for possible unfair calls in the niner-packer game :D

Josh

Neuspeed87lx
12-13-2002, 05:21 AM
i was told when i was rebuilding mine it is good to let some of the parts soak in cleaner over night? anyone heard of that ? i didnt let anything soak though..i didnt have the time ...just made sure everything was clean

dieselhead
12-13-2002, 03:58 PM
To all carb rebuilders ; as far as I'm concerned there is not much better for cleaning than a good soaking in carb cleaner overnight followed by an extended session with a toothbrush.(won't scratch bores and other delicacies)I used the stuff by Gunk that comes in what looks like a 1 gallon paint can.Even has a basket for all those pesky small parts. As a caveat..remove all plastic and rubber parts (read o rings) prior to immersion. I also used an Oral-B 40 but any toothbrush will do I suppose.I dont recommend reuse of the toothbrush for oral hygiene unless you have a serious problem or are really broke. Oh, and if you don't have a source of compressed air, a can of the stuff computer geeks and photographers use to blow down mechanisms and lenses will do just fine for those tiny passages. Go slow and good luck.