PDA

View Full Version : radiator fan question

buish
12-11-2002, 01:30 AM
how long does the engine have to run before the radiator fan comes on? the fan that is to the left of the radiator cap when looking at the engine.

the needle on my temperature gauge is usually around 1/3 of the way up all the time. recently with my valve cover gasket leak, the needle shoots 1/2 up. i thought the problem was i was low on engine oil, so i added more oil, but still the same thing. i checked the fuses under the dash and also under the hood to make sure they were fine and they are. both coolant hoses are warm to the touch after idle and driving so i know coolant is going through. i bought a new thermostat and gasket and plan to change it soon since the cooling system hasn't been drained/flushed in a while.

i did searches and people say to short the sensor on the bottom of the radiator to test if the sensor is bad. do i just unplug it then stick a paper clip in the hole or need to touch the threads or what? should i be worried about buying a sensor from an auto parts store? i think i read in some thread someone saying it didn't fit and went to the dealership and bought one. the dealership here wants $50 for the sensor, which i thought was a bit expensive. the junkyards here charge just a little bit below dealership prices.

smufguy
12-11-2002, 07:15 AM
in the junkyard its 5 bucks for a temperature sensor. I have the same problem still, but mine is a efi. I tried everything, swapping out my sensor on the bottom of the radiator and the one on the thermostat. BUt no good. I gave up and its going to my mechanic now.

WHen u shorted the connector did the fan turn on? Check to see if the cooling fan relay is working good. Swap it out with the power window relay. still not working? CHeck the fuse in the engine bay fuse box. See if that is intact. If thats fine. Then use a mulimeter to get voltage and current readings on both sensors.

I believe dx and lx have their fan turn on the same time, at least mine used to do that cause my fans were in parallel. but the efi uses a different set up.

buish
12-11-2002, 09:33 PM
i have a DX. no power window relays. the engine bay fuse box, most of the relays are capped off with a rubber cap. never had fuses in them before.

i'm going to flush my cooling system on saturday. and try to short it to see what happens.

you don't understand the junkyard around here. its not pick and pull. they only let you go look at the cars if they don't pull the parts already. and even if they have the part, its around the dealership price. one time, i got quoted more than the dealership price for a used part. but i'm going to try to see if they let me go in back then use 5 finger discount for all they people they screw.

smufguy
12-11-2002, 09:41 PM
damn. thats hard dude. there are lot of ppl on board near your area who have relays just lying round. i got relays around my house here and if u need one i can just send it to you at no cost. these used relays are like50 cents from the junkyard i go to. the dude sometimes just lets me take em cause who the heck would come there to dig up some used relays anywayz? :D