PDA

View Full Version : which automatic transmission fluid to use

buish
12-11-2002, 01:50 AM
the honda manual says to use DEXRON II transmission fluid. i goto KRAGEN and NAPA auto parts here and all they have is DEXRON III transmission fluid. the only dexron II fluid i find is redline synthetic which runs $10/quart. a search on here says DEXRON III replaced DEXRON II. so is it ok to use DEXRON III ATF?

greekguy7
12-11-2002, 05:21 AM
What year Accord is it?? If it a 3G, use Dextron 2 as the manual states. Go to some other store... it should be about $2 a quart. Try Auto Zone, Pep Boys or even K mart, Sears, or Wal-Mart.

AccordEpicenter
12-11-2002, 05:01 PM
Yeah, dex III replaced dex II, no problem with using it, dex III is backwards compatable with dex II

Einstein
12-15-2002, 06:50 PM
I noticed a big difference between dexron III and genuine Honda ATF. The shifts are much smoother with the Honda product.

The dex III stuff I used was valvoline max life.

DanG86LX
12-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Hey guys, don't mess up with your auto. Here:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6180

I hate my auto, my 2nd upshift shudders the whole car.. 3g tranny sucks. There was that "Auto Trans. Remanufacturing Program" but that was back when on warranty. I might ditch the car when tranny goes.

dosh8er
12-15-2002, 07:20 PM
I worked at a quick lube for several years... i remember researching that... i don't think it would kill your trans to run DEX III, but I wouldn't make that your first choice. GO with the genuine honda atf, it's not that expensive.

buish
12-16-2002, 06:35 AM
dosh8er, so are you saying to use either genuine honda atf or dexron II atf? the gas station i work at has dexron II. is that okay?

Grant2k
12-16-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by buish
dosh8er, so are you saying to use either genuine honda atf or dexron II atf? the gas station i work at has dexron II. is that okay?
genuine parts are generaly better, but dextron II will be fine.

DBMaster
12-16-2002, 01:06 PM
Gee, I've been using synthetic, which claims to be a "universal" ATF for about 10 years now and Valvoline Dexron II before that. After in excess of 200,000 miles I am betting that it worked just fine.

I don't guess you can go wrong with Honda ATF, but I can buy the synthetic more conveniently and increase the drain interval.

oldsub86
12-16-2002, 05:43 PM
I put Dexron III in about a month ago. You will never know the difference. I think the difference is more additives in the oil.