PDA

View Full Version : B20a cooling problem??

RCracer
12-11-2002, 07:13 AM
Has anyone else that has put a B20a into their accord had a problem with the engine takes forever to warm up and then still runs on the cold side?
I know Mike from openloop stated that the B20a they have in a hatch runs on the cool side aswell.
Has anyone come up with a solution?
I have changed the thermostat (same withnew one and old one)
I have masked the radiator with cardboard (about 3/4 of the rad is covered at the moment.
Still takes ages to warm up.

Dont ask what was it like in the old car as I never noticed
:rolleyes: but the only differance is the cooling pipes are slightly differant (to allow for the carb) and my car doesnt have the condensator/radiator for the air con in front of the normal radiator.

smufguy
12-11-2002, 07:30 AM
I knwo u have did this, but was the thermostat temp rightly rated for the 3g speck? like the temperature reading on it. If the thermostat is stuck open then it takes forever to warm up but u know that already and u said u changed the thermostat. What rpm does it fast idle on? is it around 2k or 3k? What kind of anti freeze or coolent ur using?

AccordEpicenter
12-11-2002, 05:03 PM
Is it possible to underdrive the water pump pulley? It would give you more HP and keep your temps normal wouldnt it?

cruznz
12-11-2002, 07:20 PM
might be alot of crap built up around cylinder waterjackets that the transfer of heat thru cylinder walls is reduced,.......just a thought......

RCracer
12-12-2002, 02:19 AM
I am not sure what the termostat is rated at (genuine honda) I am going to see if I can get a hotter one from a motor factor (non honda).
It is being run with a mixture of 50/50 anti freeze and water.

I cant run a underdrive pully on the water pump on the B20a as the water pump is driven by the timing belt.

There can be no crap in the B20a as when I rebuilt it it was presssure cleaned and tested.

It has to be the rating of the thermostat is to low. I will get one later today.

smufguy
12-12-2002, 09:37 PM
it also could be that its normal for the B20 to take that much time to warm up u know? My dad's camry takes years to warm up, but there is nothing worm with it, its how they are supposed to warm up.

AccordSi
12-13-2002, 04:13 AM
Sounds weired to me...my car warms up pretty quickly and stays cool as long as I'm highway driving. In traffic it levels off at just above the halfway mark on the temp gauge. Have you taken your car to a shop yet regarding the problem....geez, it must be a bitch in the cold weather.

RCracer
12-13-2002, 04:45 AM
It really is a bitch as its quite cold here now!!!
I couldnt get a thermostat yesturday as no one has them in stock so it will have to wait till I can get to a bigger town/city (next week sometime) and I will get one then (I hope).
I drove 7 miles yesturday and the temp gauge was just starting to move!!!!!!!!
Its not the temp gauge or the temp sender either (changed both items) The heater starts to get warm after about 4-5 miles (with the a20a engine the air from the heater would have been hot by then) but the heater never gets as hot as with the A20a. :-(

smufguy
12-13-2002, 10:36 AM
dont the carb take a while to warm up? cause i use to have it run for like 10 mts before the needle goes half way up. but now, my car warms up in like 5 mts or a lil more. its pretty amazing.

shepherd79
12-13-2002, 11:00 AM
what about the radiator? was the radiator diff on B20 accord? is it bigger or smaller. the way i see is that it could be that it is your thermostat. make sure you install it right way. i am not sure which way is right on B20.

cruznz
12-13-2002, 02:09 PM
is your thermostat stuck open?

RCracer
12-14-2002, 08:17 AM
:smokin: Got the cooling thing sorted out at last. :smokin:
The thrmostat that came with the engine and the new honda one are either rated too low or faulty (no temp marking on either of them) as I have got a new (aftermarket) thermostat today (marked as 78) that is for cold climates to allow faster warming up.
My heater works as it did now. I haven been able to check from cold but it holds its temperature when driving quickly (80-90mph)now.
The thermostat I took out was closed when I removed it so must still work Just at the Wrong temp!!!!!!!!!! and the new one from honda is getting thrown back at them on monday.:stick: :mad:

smufguy
12-14-2002, 10:07 AM
damn, finally for once i am right. anywayz, good luck dude. write a how-to on that and mention all the shit you come across. Thanks man. Good to see ur car workin its way up. Took any pics during the installation other than the old ones?