PDA

View Full Version : Is this silver box on my CA distributor useful?

pajamas95
09-04-2014, 02:15 PM
I got a used dizzy for my 87 LX from lostforawhile this week, but when I went to put it on, I noticed that mine has a silver box (first picture), and the new one does not (second picture) though it was pulled from a carbed 5 speed as well. Is that some sort of smog equipment that will make a difference whether I pass or fail next month with the CA smog? Thanks for anything!

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/pajamas95/2014-09-04150655.jpg

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/pajamas95/2014-09-04150500.jpg

HLW
09-04-2014, 03:59 PM
The sizzy in the first pic is a tec. The dizzy I. The second pic is a hitachi.

The box on the tec is the ignition control module. In the hitachi the icm is inside the dizy.

Either will work and both should pass the CA emissions test.

pajamas95
09-04-2014, 04:14 PM
The sizzy in the first pic is a tec. The dizzy I. The second pic is a hitachi.

The box on the tec is the ignition control module. In the hitachi the icm is inside the dizy.

Either will work and both should pass the CA emissions test.

Thanks a ton. I'll install it and hope that it works. Good to know the difference is not a smog thing.

lostforawhile
09-04-2014, 07:10 PM
oh I see, I thought you meant I had sent you a tec hahah, I was thinking where the heck did i get a tec dizzy? the second parts one is all good too if you ever need another, it was a good running one, I was just using it to see what I could do about making a new harness for it, I found the small right angle connectors, but couldn't ever figure out a grommet.

pajamas95
09-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I had a tec, and you sent me the Hitachi. I might have said it backwards in the PM. Works great, except I'm just working on my high idle issue now.

lostforawhile
09-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I had a tec, and you sent me the Hitachi. I might have said it backwards in the PM. Works great, except I'm just working on my high idle issue now.

eithier one will work on the carb cylinder head, so you should be good, the major difference is the one for FI and it's extra sensors