PDA

View Full Version : My car started and died... hmm...

87DXHatch
12-11-2002, 08:35 AM
Yesterday, I had gotten back from school (which is 30 miles away) and the accord had been sitting for probably 30 minutes when I had to leave to go work.

I got in and started it up. It revved up right away quickly, like normal, but then it dropped down and started having very low and erratic RPM's. I tried giving it a little bit of gas and then it revved up with the pedal and when I let off it dropped REAL low and then died.

I started it again, and it did the same thing with idling low and erratic, but I just put it into gear and it was fine. When I got to work, a mile away, it was idling normally.

A little help please :D

Would this be related to my idle control valve, or whatever, that makes the car rev sometimes when it's starting in the cold?

Thanks

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-11-2002, 09:00 AM
Yep, that could definitely be the EACV causing that. If it's bad and letting the idle drop too low, it's gonna die. The ECU is probably compensating for it after a few minutes to help keep it from doing that. You can bump up your idle speed manually with the adjustment screw on the throttle body, and that should get it back to normal