PDA

View Full Version : Why does my car take 8 years to warm up?

markmdz89hatch
12-11-2002, 01:03 PM
...so I just changed the thermostat on the hatch, and the coupe's the same way it was when I bought it. Both cars run great in warm weather, and cold once they're warm, but that's where the problem is. Now that it's winter, when I go out to start the car, I HAVE to let it sit for at least like 8-10 min's before the idle even thinks about dropping, and before the temp guage actually begins to wake up. I don't even know the first place to check. It's bad b/c if I try to cheat the fast idle on warm up by tapping the gas after about 2 mins of the car running, the idle doesn't drop at all. On top of it all, the fuk'r's both have a fast idle of about 3K rpm. That's WAY too high right?:stupid: :confused: :huh:

89accordboi
12-11-2002, 01:25 PM
yeah my car takes quite a long time to warm up as well, if i cheat like u and tap the gas and go drive it it wants to die when im not giving it gas, i have my car in the shop right now. i was originally gonna get a full tune up taht includes spark plugs, distributor cap, rotors, timing check/adjustment and valve adjustment but i called the guy and he doesnt think all that is necessary, but yet he hasnt taken that much time to look at it yet cuz hes "busy"... yeah, mine is carb'd to so i think its the carb that has trouble warming up in the cold? i dunno... and i havent looked at the temp gauge at all so

markmdz89hatch
12-11-2002, 01:28 PM
true, the carb does need more time to warm up in cold weather then the LX-i, but this is rediculous. It never use to do it this bad. Good luck with the tune-up, and let us all know the results.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
12-11-2002, 01:37 PM
If your car has been running for 10 minutes. You can be sure that it is at operating temperature and your temperature gauge should be slightly under 1/2 (the operating temp for our cars).

If your temp gauge is still showing cold, then inspect the temp sensor located at the bottom of the radiator. In addition, inspect your spark plugs. If they are old and worn, it will take your car much longer to reach operating temperature. Make sure you purchase some quality spark plugs. The Honda NGKs or Bosch Platinum will work very well with our cars.

Tapping your accelerator while the car is in fast idle, will drop your RPMs close to idle. If this does not happen, then you most likely have a problem at the fast idle choke valve. Unfortunately it's rivetted in and you have to bore out the rivets to inspect it.

Claude

socal3rdgen
12-11-2002, 01:37 PM
see 89accordboi even though we may suggest different things to do to fix things were not always right. but at least you will know that the mechanic cant rip you off becuase you know from what we told you what to expect. i hope the shop does you righ and fixes your problem. when they give you the estimates on anything come post it right away so we should be to tell you wether or not its a rip. good luck

Coroncho80
12-11-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
...It's bad b/c if I try to cheat the fast idle on warm up by tapping the gas after about 2 mins of the car running, the idle doesn't drop at all.

Install an remote starter! I have it and it works great! By the time you get to your car, it will be nice and warm :D

dXsquared
12-11-2002, 06:04 PM
wanna warm up fast? make some shifts at 5000RPM after running for a minute! the oil is flowin and u will warm up very fast!!!

Travis

89accordboi
12-11-2002, 06:54 PM
too bad that will fuck something up if u do taht when its not warmed up... as far as i know its bad to rev up that high when its not warm... but ok the mechanic said that the PCV hose is broken and hes going to replace that, and also the valves are "way out of adjustment" so hes going to do both for $57... i've called around and its a pretty reasonable price. and yes i have been told by people here that it might be my PCV hose and or valve adjustment, so thanks everyone for helping me with this. (too bad my step mom is a bitch and so now i have to let it sit overnight at his shop)

87DXHatch
12-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Coroncho80
Install an remote starter! I have it and it works great! By the time you get to your car, it will be nice and warm :D

Can't, dude, carbs take a pump of the pedal before you start them. You'd have to buy like a power lock actuator, have some way of having it swing down and prime the pedal, and THEN the remote start would work.

Neuspeed87lx
12-11-2002, 09:25 PM
i dont have to pump my gas anymore since the carb was rebuilt