PDA

View Full Version : Can the fly wheel be cut 4 better performance???

Coroncho80
12-11-2002, 06:14 PM
well...............

pmip
12-11-2002, 06:17 PM
How fast can you shift?

johndej
12-11-2002, 07:21 PM
hmm.......... i've heard of a lightened fly wheel, but i don't know if they cut the stock one.

pmip
12-11-2002, 07:23 PM
People do cut up their stock flywheels, but you need to be able to shift really fast (the revs climb fast, but when you're off the gas shifting, the revs drop really fast too). You also need to know how much to cut off (I have no clue how to figure that out).

Coroncho80
12-11-2002, 07:30 PM
My mechanic said that he had done it to a couple of integras, civic & accords. He is gonna do it to his 94 tegra too. He says that the diference is very very noticeble. I'm gonna do it to mines.

Grant2k
12-11-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by pmip
People do cut up their stock flywheels, but you need to be able to shift really fast (the revs climb fast, but when you're off the gas shifting, the revs drop really fast too). You also need to know how much to cut off (I have no clue how to figure that out).
i don't think you have to worry about how much to take off because whoever is gonna be doing it should know. its not like you can put it on your lathe in your basement and do it. i would hope that whoever is doing it has a knowledge about the subject. Maurice, what is he gonna charge. People should look into that as an option when buying lightweight ones.

Coroncho80
12-11-2002, 08:14 PM
he'll charge me $80 to do the whole job. I think thats a good price.

pmip
12-11-2002, 08:19 PM
That's pretty cheap, considering performance flywheels are usually around $400 (and I don't think they make any for the 3g anyways).

3rdGenFanatic
12-12-2002, 01:20 AM
How cool...

3rdGenFanatic
12-12-2002, 01:21 AM
I wish I could find someone near here to cut flywheels... Flywheel, short throw shifter, stage 2 clutch... I would be throwing gears around like a madman. :)

Grant2k
12-12-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by pmip
That's pretty cheap, considering performance flywheels are usually around $400 (and I don't think they make any for the 3g anyways).
Look around the site. there are group buys for them and this thread. (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10376&highlight=flywheel)

Jims 86LXI HB
12-12-2002, 08:45 AM
What kind of weight reduction are we talking about? Aluminum and even chrome moly flywheels exist because you can only remove so much material from a stock flywheel in a effort to lighten it. To much and it becomes a reliability issue. So the question is, where does his work leave the flywheel in respect to reliability? Can enough material be removed to make a differance and not effect reliability? Plus I wounldn't do it unless the clutch you have is 100% ok and doesn't have any issues.

I'm bringing this up because of something's I've read on the subject. I can't remember where I read it, I was actually after some other info, but stopped to read the subject because I thought it was interesting. I'd ask the guy how much one of the examples of flywheels he's done weighed before, and then after?

KMS
12-12-2002, 08:53 AM
We lighten flywheels. That usually drops at least 7 pounds and this is a factory flywheel it costs $100.00 and it is balanced and resurfaced. And it does make a considerable difference . shiping is about $20.00 turn around is 2 Days:D

Coroncho80
12-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by KMS
We lighten flywheels. That usually drops at least 7 pounds and this is a factory flywheel it costs $100.00 and it is balanced and resurfaced. And it does make a considerable difference . shiping is about $20.00 turn around is 2 Days:D

So for $80 us or $100 US, I think this is a very good mod. Other ppl spend houndreds of $$ to get about the same value on performance. I'm going for it next year ( like the first week of Jan) and I will let you guys know. :)

KMS
12-12-2002, 12:42 PM
Yes I would have to agree.

bobafett
12-12-2002, 12:49 PM
with 7lbs gone, does it make a noticible difference in power? or just make rev matching more difficult? :) i dunno if i am the best at shifting, so this might be more of a curse to me! lol....

88turboaccord
12-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Modifyed stock flywheels are very unsafe and tend to blow up which can cause a great deal of damage, and or bodily injury. I would suggest on not doing anything to a stock flywheel, but instead spend the extra $, it could spare your life..

KMS
12-12-2002, 02:06 PM
Now I am not saying that thay won't blow up but out of 1000 that we have done only 1 has ever faild and it did not come apart . But it does come down to knowledge of the part and balancing .

Smoke'em
12-12-2002, 09:00 PM
My dad lightened a fly wheel for me he's a machinest but I still need to take it and have it balenced becouse of the new cut that took off all the counter balence. Youll need a crankshafts that the flywheel fits on in order to balence it thought becouse the hole in the middle is to small for the machine to do alone