PDA

View Full Version : Holy Shit Loud as Hell

Whitehonda
12-11-2002, 08:34 PM
I just put my cat~back piping on, along with my Borla muffler. Let me tell you it is loud as hell when I am anything but idling. The only thing is I don't have a "tip" on my muffler, I have one on order.

Anyone know if the tip is supposed to help with noise supression?

I do have a header, no cat, no resonators, and a fairly strait threw muffler. I do like the sound, low/deep and throaty (It really barks) But I don't like sounding like a race car all the time. So thats why I was wondering if the tip would help any. Below I attached some pics to better show my muffler/piping.

Thanks,
Cameron

http://whitehonda.tripod.com/pictures/Back.JPG

http://whitehonda.tripod.com/pictures/Borla_v.s._Pacesetter.JPG

http://whitehonda.tripod.com/pictures/Borla_Welds.JPG

BMS
12-11-2002, 08:38 PM
Your pics only say hosted by tripod, no actual photo.

Whitehonda
12-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Heres the links to em...sorry about them not working in the forum.

http://whitehonda.tripod.com/pictures/Back.JPG

http://whitehonda.tripod.com/pictures/Borla_v.s._Pacesetter.JPG

http://whitehonda.tripod.com/pictures/Borla_Welds.JPG

Whitehonda
12-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Well just checked it, and the damn thing is still not working. So fuck Tripod, I will try to find another host to have the pics up in a few minutes.

Whitehonda
12-11-2002, 09:12 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/installs/274000-274999/274508_1_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/274000-274999/274508_2_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/274000-274999/274508_3_full.jpg

Whitehonda
12-11-2002, 09:12 PM
there we go....

let me know what you think...

Cameron

toastyghost
12-11-2002, 09:15 PM
i thnk race exhausts RAWK

smufguy
12-11-2002, 10:00 PM
a tip is not supposed to quieten the sound, if they say it does, its BS cause u have the muffler to quieten it down. anwyayz, how much was the borla? man........ i love borla.

Neuspeed007
12-11-2002, 10:04 PM
put the resornator back on if its to loud for ya..

pmip
12-11-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
a tip is not supposed to quieten the sound, if they say it does, its BS cause u have the muffler to quieten it down. anwyayz, how much was the borla? man........ i love borla.

You can get resonated tips that might quiet it down a little.

A20A1
12-11-2002, 10:58 PM
get that super trapp. it's supposed to reduce noise... you just insert it inside the tip.

socal3rdgen
12-12-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by pmip
You can get resonated tips that might quiet it down a little.

i have a resonated tip and it actually made it sound better and it didnt quiet it. but it didnt raise it any.

Whitehonda
12-12-2002, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by socal3rdgen
i have a resonated tip and it actually made it sound better and it didnt quiet it. but it didnt raise it any.

Thats what I had heard. That it makes it atleast sond better. Thanks for you input guys!!

Oh by the way the borla ran me about $115, it didn't come with any hangers either. I wanted them out of stainless, so I had to fabricate and TIG weld them on myself.

Cameron

87AccordsterLx
12-12-2002, 07:32 AM
that pic with the chrome tip... that tip is a pacesetter.... it actually looks like the muffler is too but I cant tell... are those yours? why dont you just put that tip on there....?

Experimental_Honda
12-12-2002, 07:40 AM
you think thats loud..............my nakayama is so loud my friends hear me before i get to there house. i kinda like it but people bitch about it alot.

Whitehonda
12-12-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by 87AccordsterLx
that pic with the chrome tip... that tip is a pacesetter.... it actually looks like the muffler is too but I cant tell... are those yours? why dont you just put that tip on there....?

Yeah those mufflers are both mine, and you guessed it. The black one with the big tip is the Pacesetter. For one thing, the tip on the Pacesetter is welded on. On another note, everyone bitches about how that tip on the Pacesetter Catback exaust rusts like a bitch. So why would I want that on my pretty new Borla?:confused:

Cameron

Grant2k
12-12-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Experimental_Honda
you think thats loud..............my nakayama is so loud my friends hear me before i get to there house. i kinda like it but people bitch about it alot.
yeah, my straight through "muffler" is loud too. my girlfriend says she hear's me coming off the highway like a block or 2 from her house. i would like to hear it from an outside standpoint someday. is that Borla straight through? if this one goes on me, no more glasspacks.

slammedLXI
12-12-2002, 10:20 AM
i have an HP Racing Muffler with a 4in tip and its the exact sound i wanted for my car... its a straight throw muffler but the body of the exhaust is fairly thick, it gives a nice deep throaty sound, not the loud raspy sound you hear on alot of imports.

socal3rdgen
12-12-2002, 10:40 AM
oh i forgot to mention that when you put a resonated tip on, it does create a little more back pressure. so it will give you a little extra ummpphh in the lowend range.

87AccordsterLx
12-12-2002, 11:21 AM
i think that the resonated tips for performance mufflers act differently then a resonator used on OE applications... i think they produce a lower pitch frequency instead of canceling eachother out like the OEM's do.

Whitehonda
12-12-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Grant2k
yeah, my straight through "muffler" is loud too. my girlfriend says she hear's me coming off the highway like a block or 2 from her house. i would like to hear it from an outside standpoint someday. is that Borla straight through? if this one goes on me, no more glasspacks.

Grant2k,

The Borla is not exactly strait threw. It does a kinda "loose S" jog inside, it's like a big s~curve resonator. The sound dampener is a stainless steel "wool" like material, so no baffels or anything like that. It's still too damn loud for me, I wish there was an EASY way to supress the exaust sound from being so loud inside the cabin. Sounds like I am driving a race car. :lol:

Cameron

socal3rdgen
12-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by 87AccordsterLx
i think that the resonated tips for performance mufflers act differently then a resonator used on OE applications... i think they produce a lower pitch frequency instead of canceling eachother out like the OEM's do.

yeah thats what it does. it only makes it louder and it kinda makes a booming sound now. its just basically a bunch of spikes that line the inside of the tip. it just breaks the air flow as it coms out creating a slightly different sound.

oh by the way nathan, i will be sending out your shaft tommorow to yasu. read your pm

86accordlxi-fi
12-13-2002, 10:05 AM
does anyone know of a silencer that actually works, i have a 4 inch 5-Zigen Fireball "Tear Drop" Muffler running off 2 inch cat back piping, and it is ridiculousy loud, it sets off alarms in parking lots, dont get me wrong i love the sound it is producing, its a low solid tone, but when i am going places late, i would like to silence it.

smufguy
12-13-2002, 10:57 AM
muffler = silencer in more practical terms. u can have a muffler and no resonator and u will be sounding just like stock. But if u got an aftermarket muffler that aint tunable, well ur pretty much stuck with it, unless u put a resonator, which might deaden the sound a lil, but not much.

thrdgenracng8782
01-20-2003, 07:23 PM
i have pretty much the same exact exhaust setup. i kept thepiping fromthe pacesetter exh. system and welded my naxxos 4" straight through muffler. I diddnt like the sound that the pace setter muffler made it was too "high pitch" so to speak. i've actually hd a friend drive my car down the road and punch it and it sounds awesome!!. Though inside while driving it sounds like your driving a prop plane. Its got the sound of what a proper exhaust should sound like. Not some annoying rasp coming out of a car with a stock exhaust and just a bigger muffler. i tried the whole resonator thing a while back and i diddnt find a difference at all. so yeah you are pretty much stuck with the sound.

Whitehonda
01-20-2003, 08:07 PM
Yeah man,

Like being inside a prop plane, I could not have described it better!!! Feels like I'm flying away in my little Honda!!!

Cameron

Sean
01-20-2003, 08:19 PM
look into a chambered resonator like those used in v8 muscle cars. give you a hint. chrysler hemi mufflers are the best for this.

Whitehonda
01-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Sean
look into a chambered resonator like those used in v8 muscle cars. give you a hint. chrysler hemi mufflers are the best for this.

Do those have baffles? Won't that cut back the exaust gas velosity?

Cameron

od2681
01-21-2003, 12:12 PM
MINE SETS OFF CAR ALARMS

dXsquared
01-21-2003, 01:45 PM
mine has the option to go straight pipe from the engine... no cat, res or muffler... i put a pipe inside the muffelr and its like a straight pipe! SOOOOOOOOO LOUD... its imposible to drive with the window down at 5000 RPM! i dont even wanna know what it sounds like OUTSIDE!!!!!

Travis

Slamed89Accord
01-21-2003, 07:08 PM
i have or did have just stock piping with a cat no resinator into an Apexi 5 inch tip muffler and it sounded ok set off car alarms and stuff. But its not there now i was backing up and the muffler hit a parking block and bent my exhaust and cracked the pipe in a spot so i just cut the pipe there right before the abck wheel so now i have no muffler and its loud as hell.
Now i am gettin the
http://procarparts.com/search.cfm?startrow=9&func=keyword&keyword=mufflers
17½-INCH PERFORMANCE MUFFLER WITH 4½ ROLLED LIP TIP

BLck89accord
01-21-2003, 08:46 PM
my exhaust is extremely loud. dc sports cermic headers, 2.25 cat back piping, no res, into a straight through Bomz Racing GT-Spec muffler. Might as well be staight pipe since that muffler restricts nothing. If you want to wake up the continent, Bomz is a good choice. Ebay....retails for over $200, i got it for $80 shipped brand new. Hella deal. My county doesn't have emissions tho so its all good :)

Slamed89Accord
01-22-2003, 01:07 PM
i am gonna just put a straight pipe from the front pipe no cat or res. into the muffler i put above anyone done a straight pipe before from the front pipe if so hows it sound?

Whitehonda
01-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Slamed89Accord
i am gonna just put a straight pipe from the front pipe no cat or res. into the muffler i put above anyone done a straight pipe before from the front pipe if so hows it sound?

Too damn loud!!! But thats in my opinion, you might like it loud.

Cameron

joker2
01-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I'm with you on that loud issue....... I use to have the pacesetter exhaust on and it sounded OK but then I hacked off the muffler and replaced it with a Aerospeed twin tip muffler...... It's just a little bit louder than the old muffler but now that I have a 14 month old little girl I'm looking to take it off and go back to stock but leave my piping at 2.25...... I really can't take all of that noise anymore......:lol