PDA

View Full Version : Smoking coming from front of car.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-11-2002, 10:35 PM
Ok, I replaced a hose on Tuesday (water pump to manifold hose) and I spilled some coolant over the radiator and that's what the smell of the smoke smells like. (Burning anti freeze) But the weird thing is when I shut my lights off for the last time tonight the switch by the steering wheel was tough to turn them off. (more resistance than normal) So I figured I would try to turn them back on, and the thing is they wouldn't come back on. With and without the car on. I turn the car on to check it out and they still wouldn't turn on. I haven't checked to see if the bulbs burnt out or not yet, since it is past midnight. Has anyone else had this problem with the switch being tough to move? How can I fix it?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-12-2002, 12:01 AM
I checked the coolant and it could use some re-filling. But that wouldn't make it smoke if it needed re-filling. Should I get some of that radiator stop leak stuff? Just to be safe? Does that stuff work?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-12-2002, 09:14 AM
I look through the headlight and didn't see that the bulbs were burnt out. I sprayed some WD-40 on the switch (to try to clean it so it won't stick) It still sticks. AAAAHHHHHHH I hate when shit goes wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you guys think is wrong? Thanks in advance. :bow:

AZmike
12-12-2002, 09:52 AM
Check your PSF level. A common problem is for the high pressure PS feed hose that runs above the exhaust maniflod to develop a leak. That would expalin your steering problems too. Sometimes a leaking valve cover gasket dripping oil othe exhaust manifold can make smoke too, but since that wouldn't affect your steering it's probably your hose leaking.

They're pretty pricey at the dealer $110ish, but I heard that they're as cheap as $20-30 if you shop around the big chain stores.

Mantis88LX
12-12-2002, 10:02 AM
sounds like you light motors burned out?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-12-2002, 11:31 AM
There's nothing wrong with my steering wheel. (it's the switch for turn the lights on thats tough) (I didn't explain good, sorry) The lights come up, the low beams do not work, I tried the high beams for the heck of it and they work. And the smoke is coming from the radiator area. I think it stopped (I didn't see any this morning.) Could my low beams on the bulbs be burnt out?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Ok, I got one of the bulbs out now and nothing on the inside looks broken, but the bottom where the plug part is, one of the prongs has a burn mark on one of them. So, I'm going to go to wal-mart and get some cheapos for now. I think the wattage was to high. The bulb that I think burnt out was 100w/80w. I don't know what wattage our cars are supposed to have. Does anyone know?

AZmike
12-12-2002, 03:46 PM
I remember reading a thread recently about how the low beam switch in the steering column can go bad since it runs all the current for the low beams through it. I looked a little but didn't find it. The high beams use the relay, so the switch isn't running as hot. I think my low beams are 55 Watt, but I'm not certain. Your high-power low beams might have cooked your low beam switch.

dXsquared
12-12-2002, 04:03 PM
just replace ur combo switch... its the whole unit in the steer column!

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
12-12-2002, 10:16 PM
Ok, after checking it out I found out that the switch was bad and i'm going to go to the junk yard tomorrow to find one and a center console from a se-i. Don't you have to take the steering wheel off to remove that combo switch? Or is there a way to get the switch off without removing the wheel? Hopefully there's a way to do it without removing the wheel. I looked in the Haynes Manual and couldn't find anything. Oh yeah I got new bulbs and it still didn't work right so it's the switch.

AZmike
12-13-2002, 12:06 AM
You'll need to remove the steering wheel. It's not too hard. Remove the 4 screws on the back of the steering wheel: there's a wire clip that you need to undo back there. Then remove the 19 mm nut under the H. Mark the steering wheel and shaft so you can realign the two later. Then pull the wheel straight off (pretty hard).