PDA

View Full Version : What is the big deal w/ CF hoods?

Chrome_thangs
12-11-2002, 10:47 PM
I see a bunch of people on here sporting Carbon Fiber hoods. What is the big deal? I read somewhere that they're lightweight, but how much more does a normal hood weigh? I've also read that they transfer the heat from your engine compartment better is this true? Is there a noticble difference in performance or is it all hype?

Mike's89AccordLX
12-11-2002, 11:03 PM
I would lift your hood, it's a beast and a half. I thought I heard somewhere that CF hoods are like 10-15 lbs. I don't know anything about the heat transfer thing though. I doubt you would notice it though. There's a big hype b/c no one makes them for our cars and the people that have them are more unique.

pmip
12-11-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
I thought CF hoods weigh about 10-15lbs. Our stock hoods are a beast and a half.

Wow, 3 times! You really wanted to get your point across!!!:lol

Mike's89AccordLX
12-11-2002, 11:26 PM
What the heck? Did I click it twice? I clicked back b/c it was loading it and I looked at the post again and it didn't show me so I posted the shorter one. That's messed up, didn't want that to happen.

Toby
12-12-2002, 06:13 AM
did you know that our stock hoods are a beast and a half and that CF hoods weigh about 10-15lbs. just for the people that still dont know :D

markmdz89hatch
12-12-2002, 08:30 AM
There's a big hype b/c no one makes them for our cars and the people that have them are more unique.

Actually, there IS one c/f shop that makes them for our cars. They sell exclusively through one of our members (site). The price is great, and I've seen personally that the quality is outstanding. PM Site if ur interested, and to get the most up-to-date pricing on 'em.

Blue Impact
12-12-2002, 09:12 AM
Need I add that Carbon Fiber hoods also give you extra horsepowers becaue they only weigh 10-15 pounds while a stock hood is a beast and a half?

socal3rdgen
12-12-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
Actually, there IS one c/f shop that makes them for our cars. They sell exclusively through one of our members (site). The price is great, and I've seen personally that the quality is outstanding. PM Site if ur interested, and to get the most up-to-date pricing on 'em. now how great is this hood really. i heard the the underside is fiberglass. and not carbon fiber. can it withstand the stomp test. probably not. its sounds like it was cheaply made.

Grant2k
12-12-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by socal3rdgen
now how great is this hood really. i heard the the underside is fiberglass. and not carbon fiber. can it withstand the stomp test. probably not. its sounds like it was cheaply made.
all the carbon hoods i have dealt with at work have fiberglass undersides.

Jims 86LXI HB
12-12-2002, 10:41 AM
I thought CF hoods weigh about 10-15lbs. Our stock hoods are a beast and a half.

Originally posted by pmip
Wow, 3 times! You really wanted to get your point across!!!:lol

I took care of that. He need's to me more carefull with that kind of thing.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
12-12-2002, 10:51 AM
I think most ppl get C/F hoods for the looks more than actual performance!...But some ppl believe it helps with HP!! Those are the same dudes that have stock tires on the front tires & rims on the back tires!! and race with stock engines!! Then they wonder why they lose!! It's all a matter of choice!! If u like thw hood buy it and if u don't! buy something else!! Hookers are a good investent if u ask me!!!

socal3rdgen
12-12-2002, 10:57 AM
would you agree that it is cheaper to burn out you stock tires on steelies then to burn out some expensive tires that you would need for your front rims. I do understand the having back rims and stock front rims and bulky tires.

Blue Impact
12-12-2002, 11:11 AM
I was just kidding about the horsepower. Carbon Fiber hood is just weight reduction and has nothing to do with change in horsepower.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
12-12-2002, 11:52 AM
I agree with u on that aspect!! Tires are expensive! But it looks so ugly!! especially when the rest of the car is stock!! oh wait intake & exhaust..50 hp!! :lol Don't get me wrong!! I know cars are an expensive hobby!! But if ur gonna do it!! do it right!! also I think C/F should be the last mod u get until ur car is cosmetically clean!!