PDA

View Full Version : does anyone w/ new guages still have WORKING FT gauge?

bobafett
12-12-2002, 07:46 AM
i am looking to print out pauls gauges (thank you paul!!!)
but i am worried about now having a working FT gauge...

what are the chances that it will still work? from what i hear its not good. but what can i do to help my chances or "make" them work?

any comments?

89AccordNate
12-12-2002, 08:51 AM
The problem is cutting the hole in them the right size. They will work fine if you cut the hole right. I would recommend getting an exacto knife. Printed gauges dont work very well..i had some in my accord for 2 hours before I ripped them out because they never looked right no matter what I did.

Nate.

89AccordNate
12-12-2002, 08:51 AM
The problem is cutting the hole in them the right size. They will work fine if you cut the hole right. I would recommend getting an exacto knife. Printed gauges dont work very well..i had some in my accord for 2 hours before I ripped them out because they never looked right no matter what I did.

Nate.

socal3rdgen
12-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate

Nate.

try using a high grade printer. i did and the guages i printed look sweet. yes i cheated, i used a color copier that is the only brand in the world that will print money perfectly aka Canon CLC900. its a 90,000 copier.

pmip
12-12-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by bobafett
i am looking to print out pauls gauges (thank you paul!!!)
but i am worried about now having a working FT gauge...

what are the chances that it will still work? from what i hear its not good. but what can i do to help my chances or "make" them work?

any comments?

I broke my f/t needles last year when I tried to put gauges in, but I also twisted the needle back and forth to get it out (the axle that holds it in is really tiny). So when I put these in, I'm not touching the gauges, I'm just cutting slits and pushing the gauge down on top. So i'd recommend either cutting the slits and not touching the gauges at all (it probably won't look as nice though), or just risking it and slowly pulling straight up on the f/t needles. There have been many people on the board who have done this without having them break (but many who have broken them too), so just be really careful.

bobafett
12-12-2002, 11:20 AM
yeah i plan on taking them to my buddies house, and see if their photo printer makes them look good. if it doesnt, i will take it to kinkos or something.

btw, could you elaborate on the issue of cutting the holes the right size?

i have 86 so they dontmake gauges aftermarket that will work... :( i would have to have the automatic crap on the gauge...

anchovies
12-12-2002, 01:05 PM
I wanted to say just slide the gauges in. But your FT gauge is pointing out, so you can't do that. Good luck :D

bobafett
12-12-2002, 01:43 PM
lol... heh the plot thickens....yeah i would have to cut a slit thru the whole gauge, like cut it in half...but that would look nasty. i think the only way to really do this right is to carefully pull off those needles :( i hope i dont break them!

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
12-12-2002, 02:00 PM
the speedo needle an rpm needle are east to take off right?? So I don't have to worry about breakin em??

pmip
12-12-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Scotts88WhiteLX-i
the speedo needle an rpm needle are east to take off right?? So I don't have to worry about breakin em??

The metal rod (or axle) on those is a lot thicker, so it'd be really hard to break them.

bobafett
12-12-2002, 02:28 PM
man why does my car have to be so difficult, none of the other cars have those outward FT needles.. :(

oh well could be worse i'm sure...

88' Accord Ltd
12-12-2002, 04:52 PM
I cut the slits in my F/T gauges and slid them over but the ends where i cut them came up and touched the needles holding them in place. I know the temp gauge still works but Im not sure about the fuel gauge since it didnt move much at all. Either way Just make sure no part of the gauge is sticking up and touching the needles or they will stick. The Tach and speedo woked fine though.

blazin3gen
12-12-2002, 06:49 PM
man this really helps me out to does anybody have any pics pauls gauges installed on their car?

anchovies
12-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Scotts88WhiteLX-i

Just slide the gauges through under the needles. :rant: