PDA

View Full Version : Rear, is it possible to switch our cars to rear wheel?

88accordlxi
12-13-2002, 04:24 AM
is it possible to switch our cars to rear wheel?

1989 DX R
12-13-2002, 04:39 AM
With enough $$$ yes.

Grant2k
12-13-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by 1989 DX R
With enough $$$ yes.
with enough money anything is possible. why not make the car into an airplane while your at it?

Jims 86LXI HB
12-13-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by 88accordlxi
is it possible to switch our cars to rear wheel?

Hmmm, first thought that come's to mind is,...silly question:rolleyes: But,.....this is a DISCUSSION forum, so.:D

First problem is what mechanics. 2 things come to mind 88-91 civic wagon four wheel drive or the first gen crv. The civic had a viscous coupling in the driveline to the rear, so that would have to be eliminated. CRV rear transaxles are know for being really whimpy. Exspecting it to handle ALL the power would kill it.

Second problem is the rear suspension and all it's mounting points, especially where it mount's towards the center of the car.
That present's a major problem, which ='s major $$ What comes to mind is using the rear axle/suspension of a S2000. Either make the part's fit (good god, how?:huh: ) or somehow cut the rear off a wrecked S2000, minus anything other than the unibody, suspension and axle. Shear fantasy talk I tell ya;)

Vanilla Sky
12-13-2002, 03:50 PM
well, just get a frame from another car and fit your unitbody to the frame... very possible, and it would give you a lot more engines you can choose from... i was thinkin like a hemi :D it's not as hard as it may seem, but if you are, or have a shop that is capable, you can get it done in about a week... i don't know how the car would be registered, though, since it's not really an accord anymore... guess it would just be a rod

Derick

87Hybrid
12-13-2002, 06:29 PM
If you mount the engine in the trunk, hey just mount an extra engine in the trunk and yolu can have all wheel drive

AccordEpicenter
12-13-2002, 10:45 PM
why would you want to?

dXsquared
12-13-2002, 10:56 PM
for fun

i saw a Chevette on a blazer frame and it was rollin on 36's and 4WD!

Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
12-14-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
why would you want to?

I'd think it would be a FWD vs. RWD answer I guess.

anchovies
12-14-2002, 01:08 AM
It would be nice to try a rwd 3geez won't it

MoonScryer
12-14-2002, 09:01 AM
it'd be like driving a mkII supra, or something.

If you realy are looking into this, consider the car size, and possible donor. Datsun 510 would make a good donor, and they make Chevy V6 swap mounts for those.

Just an odd thought...

89lxi95zx7
12-14-2002, 09:04 AM
just drive in reverse

OldSchoolSwap
12-14-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 89lxi95zx7
just drive in reverse
Better yet, just flip the motor around!
Flip your seats and pedals around too!
and Voala! :super:

You'll end up like an NSX with the motor in the rear, but without putting it in the trunk. :D

anchovies
12-14-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
Better yet, just flip the motor around!
Flip your seats and pedals around too!
and Voala! :super:

You'll end up like an NSX with the motor in the rear, but without putting it in the trunk. :D

Make no sense.
Leave the motor. Turn the seats and pedals. There you go :pimp:

OldSchoolSwap
12-15-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
Make no sense.
Leave the motor. Turn the seats and pedals. There you go :pimp:
No, cuz you'll be driving in reverse with 5 gears! You'll only have one gear to go forward witch is reverse (considered first gear in this case) :D

anchovies
12-16-2002, 01:15 AM
No, cuz you'll be driving in reverse with 5 gears! You'll only have one gear to go forward witch is reverse (considered first gear in this case) :D

wow..lucky me I don't have this swap in mind. If not after done switching the seats and pedals..and test my new RWD conversion, it'll end up a pile when I floor in 1st gear.

however, my design is more challenging for the driver , how many ppl can drive in reverse at 90mph huh ?? :D

Grant2k
12-16-2002, 06:42 AM
if you use an aftermarket transmission you actually could do it. remember the Apex-i integra? since honda engines spin the "wrong way" they had to turn the engine around to use an aftermarket transmission. it might be more work to adapt the new trans than to flip the engine, but it's a thought.
see how the engine is on the wrong side of the engine bay.
http://formenmedia.ign.com/media/news/image/machine/eng2.jpg http://formenmedia.ign.com/media/news/image/machine/car.jpg

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
12-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Here is a thought!! buy a RWD car!! It's much cheaper than a freaking conversion!!

OldSchoolSwap
12-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
Here is a thought!! buy a RWD car!! It's much cheaper than a freaking conversion!!
Damn! i never thought of that!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
12-16-2002, 10:37 PM
Damn! i never thought of that!
Pretty kewl eh!! Dude!! Bad news!! Remember the JDM OEM Self Folding Mirriors? They don't w0rk!!! When the weather gets warmer!! we will try to take a look at the motoQ!! we are hoping the engine is just dirty and that the hinge is rusted and it wont let it fold:crying: 132 bucks down the poop shoot!

88accordlxi
12-17-2002, 12:00 PM
it'd be nasty to have rear wheel 3g's so we could do drift racing.

Grant2k
12-17-2002, 01:09 PM
i agree that it's cool, but why did drifting all the sudden become so fashionable?

87accordHB
12-17-2002, 08:14 PM
ummm...WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! ?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

Neuspeed87lx
12-17-2002, 08:16 PM
i think it would be cool just to show all the people up that go .... you cant drift that car it has to be rear wheel...