PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing Problem

Janiel
12-13-2002, 09:36 AM
Hey why are the damn wheel bearings so expensive? They want to charge me $100 beans for each side and both sides have to be done. I have the hook up in a place were they can be press out but i can't find anyone that sells the bearings by them selfs. Thanks 4 the help.

RobT5580
12-13-2002, 10:36 AM
They are expensive but you can get them through www.hondaautomotiveparts.com but they are big bearings. I had mine done on my other accord and it was a major improvement because mine were bad.

BoredRec
12-13-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Janiel
Hey why are the damn wheel bearings so expensive? They want to charge me $100 beans for each side and both sides have to be done. I have the hook up in a place were they can be press out but i can't find anyone that sells the bearings by them selfs. Thanks 4 the help.

Who said both sides hafta be done? If only one side makes noise, then change just that side. Replacing both is old mechanic history for crappy domestic shit that always went bad.

AccordEpicenter
12-13-2002, 09:55 PM
yeah totally, if one breaks, fix one, no need to do both. The older ones on the 3rd gens of ours seem to last longer than any of the 94-97 accord bearings which usually go bad anywhere from 120 k miles to 160k miles, and im sure nearly everybody in this forum has gotten alot more miles on their stock bearings...

BoredRec
12-14-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
yeah totally, if one breaks, fix one, no need to do both. The older ones on the 3rd gens of ours seem to last longer than any of the 94-97 accord bearings which usually go bad anywhere from 120 k miles to 160k miles, and im sure nearly everybody in this forum has gotten alot more miles on their stock bearings...

Haven't changed mine! :D (Knocks on wood....alot!)

dXsquared
12-14-2002, 09:30 AM
well i have a 250 000 mile car nad the passenger front is wobling bad! i need a bearing, but i am too lazy to get it fixed. When i got my snow tires put on my Lude rimz, the Wal mart guys were liek OH SHIT! Ur wheels gonna fall off! and im like NAW This is the 3rd Gen Accord... nothing ever breaks on them!!!

Travis

SiR
12-14-2002, 07:47 PM
Yea they might be expensive, but how many times in the cars life are they going to be replaced. Mine were replaced about 3 months ago. They lasted to about 263,000 miles. I got them from a mechanic that use to work at a Honda dealer for $80 in parts for each side. Not cheap, but must be done. Both sides were bad, its almost always the case. Check both sides by hand by jacking the front tires of the ground and hold the tire and see with there is any kind of play in the hub. There was so much for my on both sides that they wore down my pads to nothing, so be careful for how long you let them bad.

Rooz

ACCORD EX
12-15-2002, 08:59 AM
sides are not relative ! so you can do only the bad side !
but like AccordSIR said > how many times in a car life you'll change them ?

MIKE

Grant2k
12-16-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
This is the 3rd Gen Accord... nothing ever breaks on them!!!

Travis
wow, i want your car!!

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 05:29 PM
:crying: That is about the going price for these bearings, I have an extra set of hubs I'm going to put bearings in. But they were a s of a b to get out. Thats with a machine shop. If you buy the kit, it will come with new seals(have to be replaced) and new lug studs. The lug studs on this car can't be replaced without pulling out the bearing. they are cheap, replace them! also when you press the hub apart, make sure you take out the big circlip first! the old bearing is going to seperate in two pieces, then you have to gwt the old bearing race off of the hub assembly. I had to machine a piece of metal that welded to the old bearing to seperate it from the wheel hub. I took it to about ten places and noone knew how to get them apart, had to do it myself.

BoredRec
12-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
The lug studs on this car can't be replaced without pulling out the bearing. they are cheap, replace them!

Not true, it's called grinding and hacking :D

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 09:23 PM
:tongue: BUT WHY WHEN THE BEARINGS ARE OUT, WERE' TALKING ABOUT 4 DOLLARS A WHEEL