PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light

88WhiteLX-i
12-13-2002, 02:57 PM
My car was fine all day long, but when I came out of a store and started her up the battery light came on. I replaced my alternator about a year and a half ago, so Iam not sure why this is happening. The weird thing is I went to the auto parts store to get my alt. output tested, I shut the car off, opened the hood and restarted her. After I did that the light didn't come back on. I didn't even get my alt. output tested because the fucking light went out. It still hasn't gone back on, and this is the first time it has done this since I had the alternator changed. ANyone have any suggestions what this might be and have any of you have had this happened?

shepherd79
12-13-2002, 02:59 PM
check you alternator belt. it could be lose or something.

BoredRec
12-13-2002, 04:23 PM
They probably used shitty brushes or the diodes are crap. Next time the light turns on, CAREFULLY reach your hand behind the alternator and tug on the big green connector. If the light goes out (have a bud in the car watching) or you hear the engine pitch change cuz now the alternator is putting a load on the engine, it's the brushes, which are like $25 or so from Honda. Saves ya the hassle of getting a new alternator.

AccordEpicenter
12-13-2002, 09:55 PM
are you sure youre battery is good?

Blue Impact
12-13-2002, 11:34 PM
Your alternator could just be tweaking. I replaced mine last summer too and just replaced it again a few weeks ago. What happened was that my car ran fine until the Battery light came on. Then I didn't drive it the following day. Then the day after that, I started the car, and it just died again on me. My battery was fine cuz I had it tested and it tested fine. Then I had my alternator tested and it tested bad.

88WhiteLX-i
12-14-2002, 10:19 AM
yeah my battery is fine, it's actually bigger than the one that you're suppose to put in the car by a little bit. But I HAVE NEVER had a problem starting her up. Yeah I bought the alternator remanufactored, cus I didn't feel like getting raped at the dealer. But even when the light did come on the car still ran fine. It hasn't come back on yet, so Iam thinking that it was just a weird occurence. But my friend has a 87 Lude, his alternator went bad and he had it replaced and that light still kept coming on. COme to find out that it was the conector on top, so Iam not sure if that could be a problem. Anyone have any other suggestions as what it could be??!?!