PDA

View Full Version : Things to do before I pass the 3geez to my daugther project

Buzo
09-29-2014, 01:02 PM
I haven't posted in long time but I still use my 3geez as daily driver.

3 years ago I put the Megasquirt controller and a TBI from an 89 cavalier in my 3geez. I haven't touched the tune in very long time and the car has run very stable. Small problems here and there. The starter motor went bad for second time, a pinch hole in the fuel line, the crank sensor got loose one time, but nothing that could not be detected by paying some attention, as one would do with any old car.

Anyways, I was thinking in giving the 3geez to my daughter, she is in the university and we still take her every day to school. She knows how to drive but she doesn't put too much attention to cars. I gues a boy of her age would be desperated for having a car, much more when there are two more project cars at home just sitting there!

The bottom line is that I need to complete all the pendings I left over after my conversion to FI.

I put extra wires because I wanted MPI instead of TBI, and wanted secuential ignition instead of wasted spark. Half of the distributor is still covering the hole in the side of the engine where I was going to put the cam sensor, etc.

Its time to remove all the uneccesary hardware and leave a nice and clean engine bay for her. So she is going to drive an old but fully functional car, including a working A/C of course.

I use to drive my 3geez for 1000 miles round trips (twice a year) with absolutely no problems so I feel confident she will have no problems driving to and back from school.

I will take this as a father-daughter project so she learns everything about the car. I will take pics from current state to the final and I will share it here.

Dr_Snooz
09-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Good stuff! Another project from Buzo.

gp02a0083
09-30-2014, 08:51 AM
I think thats a great idea, also these cars are not overly complicated and are good cars to learn the basics on.

Dr_Snooz
09-30-2014, 06:10 PM
I tried to teach my sister how to work on cars. It was a lot like trying to bathe a feral cat and lasted about as long as it took her to say, "go to hell." To this day I still don't understand. :confused:

gp02a0083
10-01-2014, 03:22 AM
:rofl:

firefighterwhite89
12-12-2014, 11:29 AM
LED gauge cluster lighting! Search T10 LED bulbs. You'll be happy!!!

w261w261
12-14-2014, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't give a car like this to my daughter. When I used to drive mine, I always behaved as if I was riding my bike, e.g. everyone is trying to kill you, no one sees you, and if you have a wreck, it's not going to be pretty. Your 3G is 2800 lbs with no airbags, doors with no crash protection, and 30 year old crush engineering. A younger girl will not know this, and will not take precautions. If something happens, you'll be at wit's end.

Make no mistake, I love 3G's. I've had mine for 13 years and 150,000 miles. But I am always aware that I'm in a little tin box, and behave accordingly.

gp02a0083
12-18-2014, 05:27 AM
I wouldn't give a car like this to my daughter. When I used to drive mine, I always behaved as if I was riding my bike, e.g. everyone is trying to kill you, no one sees you, and if you have a wreck, it's not going to be pretty. Your 3G is 2800 lbs with no airbags, doors with no crash protection, and 30 year old crush engineering. A younger girl will not know this, and will not take precautions. If something happens, you'll be at wit's end.

Make no mistake, I love 3G's. I've had mine for 13 years and 150,000 miles. But I am always aware that I'm in a little tin box, and behave accordingly.

x2 on this, hence why i emphasize on brake upgrades. While our 3rd gens can be very reliable and good little first cars, the added safety features of the newer cars may be a better choice. All depends on the condition of the car and how safe it actually is.

Buzo
07-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Just wanted to say hi.I can say the project is complete, but I failed in documenting everything. To make a long story short, I overhauled the engine and removed all the extra things in the engine bay. My daugther drives the car most of the time now. We have a deal where she reports any minor issue and I check the car every saturday. The other day she told me the car died twice but restarted rigth away. Opened the hood and found a coil boot damaged and the spring missing. Replaced the boot and spring and problem solved.

MessyHonda
07-30-2015, 01:07 PM
welcome back Buzo! glad to know the 3G is still in the family