PDA

View Full Version : cost estimate of carb to efi

89accordboi
12-13-2002, 08:45 PM
i just thought it might be good for my car speedwise to change to efi, does anyone know how much it would cost for parts and how much for labor? thx for responses :sadwave:

2old_honda
12-13-2002, 09:12 PM
I would *think* it would be about $400-$600 but that is just my guess.

goldyaccord
12-13-2002, 09:25 PM
Man, U gonna go all that trouble to gain ONLY 10-20 horsepower?

Here's some of the stuff that's needed....

Engine Bay harness
Dash harness(need it for PGMI engine light)
add a fuel line
Get an Gas Tank and Pump from an LXI,SEI
the nessessary sensors
Intake manifold (make sure you get one from the 88-89 LXI,SEI) The 86-87 manifolds only push u to 110 Horse while, the 88-89 manifold have some sort of Dual plane construction or something which adds 10 extra horses.)
Injectors
ECU Comp.

I cant think of anything else right now BUT, u will have to tear out your carpet, dash, to get to the wiring and install the return Fuel line.

Your best bet is to Look for an LXI (88-89 recommended:D) that has a bad motor or something. just find an LXI for cheap... tow it to your house and take off all the parts u need.

IF u have a DX, take the opportunity to install power windows, power locks etc.

If u see an SEI at a junkyard or an 86-89? Integra, Grab the rear Disc brake assemblies also! :D

If there happens to be a tranny too.... Take it! (it has shorter gears and will fit the accord.

after all that work, go ahead and install a b18C5 with an LSD using place racings mount kit.

This should get u goin in the right direction.....

I must warn u. No huge wings... no craaaazy body kit.. and absolutly no neon of any kind unless hidden in the trunk to show off your box. :stick:

Happy Planning!

Heheheheh I think i went too far with this.

:pimp:

89accordboi
12-13-2002, 10:33 PM
lol im not planning on getting a body kit or wing, i think im just gonna forget about the efi conversion cuz it would be too much of a hassle, but i do thank you for listing all that stuff. one of my friends jsut got a 3" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler and it sounds really nice, not too loud, so i think im gonna do that in like a week.

goldyaccord
12-13-2002, 10:35 PM
3 inches is too big... go with 2.25.

89accordboi
12-14-2002, 11:00 AM
why is it to big? is there disadvantages?

Neuspeed87lx
12-14-2002, 11:52 AM
yes you want some backpressure ...3 inch is too big unless the car is turbocharged...2.25 is good.... and for the efi conversion i dont even know if you cuold find anyone that would perform the labor for you ... its just to much work

Neuspeed87lx
12-14-2002, 11:56 AM
opps sorry jim i just read your other post ..... i mean "exhaust gas volocity" :D not backpressure

89accordboi
12-14-2002, 01:45 PM
why would i want backpressure? it sounds horrid.

EDIT>> backpressure is basically the inability to flow right??

Neuspeed87lx
12-14-2002, 07:48 PM
i found this on some site ..........
the reason that exhaust valves burn is because the engine is burning lean. Normal engines will tolerate lean burning for a little bit, but not for sustained periods of time. The reason why the engine is burning lean to begin with is that the reduction in backpressure is causing more air to be drawn into the combustion chamber than before. Earlier cars (and motorcycles) with carburetion often could not adjust because of the way that backpressure caused air to flow backwards through the carburetor after the air already got loaded down with fuel, and caused the air to receive a second load of fuel. While a bad design, it was nonetheless used in a lot of vehicles. Once these vehicles received performance mods that reduced backpressure, they no longer had that double-loading effect, and then tended to burn valves because of the resulting over-lean condition

anchovies
12-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Look in the FAQ.