PDA

View Full Version : Turbo A20 vs B20

AccordEpicenter
12-13-2002, 10:00 PM
With everybody talking about how tough the A20 engine's bottom ends are, wouldnt it be easier and more reliable to turbo an A20 vs a B20? Its all iron except for the head... Wouldnt it take more psi before it starts to fall apart. Also what would you have to do to the engine internals to make them run over 14 psi, new pistons and rods etc? Also, can the auto trannies take that kind of power or will they burn up?

dXsquared
12-13-2002, 10:06 PM
well if i got my hands on $10000 and a nice low miles motor, i would balance the crank then get 8.3:1 or so pistons and some hi quality connecting rods and weight match them. then the whole motor would get a rebuild with a nice reground TURBO cam nad valve springs and retainers and a port and polish. then i would have to get a wicked ass fuel pump and injectors. then u stick it all together with a AIR/FUEL ratio gauge and boost pressure gauges. nad you would also need a Nitrous Presure gauge for the NOS u need when u get turbo lag down LO!

Travis

AccordEpicenter
12-13-2002, 10:40 PM
honestly it all sound doable, i just need to have the car down and engine out of it for a while, but how much hp can be had with such a set up, and what turbo and exaust manifold should i run? Is there a production car turbo that i can have rebuilt, like one from an older 300zx turbo or Supra or somthing or would i be better off with a T3/T4 or T66 or somthing crazy

dXsquared
12-13-2002, 10:49 PM
i would look for somthin small like off a DSM or a VOLVo. get a low mileage or dealer replacement one... and i think if u do it right, u could hit 280 HP.

Travis

AccordEpicenter
12-13-2002, 11:01 PM
I know a friend whos trying to stuff a rebuilt saab turbo into his Saturn, but he says the small turbo limits him to like 6-7 psi, not to mention the stock internals of his saturn

88lxDCOE
12-13-2002, 11:06 PM
I dont know if Justin still has all the specs up but give his site a visit. www.88turboaccord.net

A20A1
12-14-2002, 12:00 AM
I think that because it's Iron it's good... but it's not so much the material as it's is the design of the bottom end... I forgot what the term was but... urr. well i think of it later.

MoonScryer
12-14-2002, 08:37 AM
OK, DXHATCHBACK, you need to back up off the crack pipe a bit. Periods are oh so nice in a sentence structure. :D

Yes, you can turbo an A20. Dosen't matter the mileage on it, since you will be taking it apart to rebuild it. DXHATCHBACK does have the right idea. In truth, if you are going lowboost, say 5-8psi, just replace the pistons with forged ones, and you should be ok, with a good fuel system. As to using a rebuilt OEM turbo, that would work perfect. Volve, Saab, 300zx, whatever. It's all about how it will fit. If you want to run at strictly 8psi, think about one off a turbo Probe.

AccordEpicenter
12-14-2002, 12:06 PM
I was actually thinking about more than that even, like 14-16 psi. Im not sure if i have to go with aftermarket rods and stuff, but im sure the pistons are a definite must. Would I have to lower compression? I was thinking of flat top pistons... Also can i run the stock ecu with all that boost as long as I trick the map sensor and run huge fuel system upgrades (injectors pump regulator)?

cruznz
12-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Just as a matter of interest....
Anyone know when did the first factory accord come out with turbo? Did 1 come factory standard for our 3g?or later

anchovies
12-14-2002, 10:15 PM
No factory accord has turbo. Honda only introduced turbo in the legend and city. And that was in the 80s.

pimp86LX
12-15-2002, 01:57 AM
woah ~keaune reeves style~

anyone ever do a vtec w/ a turbo?, i think that'd be pretty hairy

anchovies
12-15-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
woah ~keaune reeves style~

anyone ever do a vtec w/ a turbo?, i think that'd be pretty hairy

Huh? You mean on a 3geez? I mean if you're asking about vtec with a turbo, it's everywhere. But vtec with a turbo on a 3geez, I think so. I remembered a pic of a hatch with h22 force fed. I might be wrong.

pimp86LX
12-16-2002, 01:05 AM
lol well me having never driven a vtec or a turbo, i was just speaking in general, i assumed they must be out there, but i wasn't sure how common they were. I bet they haul!

bobafett
12-16-2002, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
I was actually thinking about more than that even, like 14-16 psi. Im not sure if i have to go with aftermarket rods and stuff, but im sure the pistons are a definite must. Would I have to lower compression? I was thinking of flat top pistons... Also can i run the stock ecu with all that boost as long as I trick the map sensor and run huge fuel system upgrades (injectors pump regulator)?

i wont claim to be an expert, but i think if you get an MSD BTM ignition it will retard the timing and allow you to use the stock ECU.... but check out www.homemadeturbo.com it has a trick for fooling the MAP or MAS or whatever that is.