PDA

View Full Version : ANTI AFTERBURN VALVE replacement?

d-ham
10-02-2014, 11:18 PM
been trying to get everything dialed on an 89 accord lx automatic with a carb. bought it thinking it would be similar to my 2 previous hondas [96 and 97 civics] but learned pretty quickly that this thing is a whole different beast. still hoping to prove its worthwhile. first had some issues with idle which were solved but seemed to birth a secondary issue: the car stalls at stops. did a ton of reading here and figured i had overlooked a vac leak so i did what i should have done on day one and then i found the obvious issue:

hose #31 had a screw jammed into the end. [yeah not sure how it took me 2 months to see that] the service manual showed this thing goes into the anti-afterburn valve, which i think would explain the stalling. problem is the little nozzle end on my AA valve has been snapped off, and glued over, sealing off the cylinder on that side so its got to be replaced.

so im headed to the junkyard in the morning to pull out a new AA valve and the related hoses. the service manual has instructions for checking this thing but i dont find any info on removing and installing. page 11-89.

so heres my question: is there anything specific i need to do for install? seems like the whole mixture control system is a particular setup and i dont want to spoil the whole deal... has anyone dealt with this?