PDA

View Full Version : Carburator car expert

hondaisthebest
05-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Hello guys

I have two questions:

First my friend accord 89 dx as a idle problem, i start to check
if he have a vacumm leak but nothing. After he went to honda dealer and they said that he need a rebuilt carb(because he have a lot of dust inside) for 150$ with labour. He didn want to pay that, just want to know if i can increase the fuel flow with a/f mixture screw?? Does its gone help????

Second question is for me,
what are the bad effect of removing the line to the air suction valve(expect more pollution), can i damage some important parts???

thanks

A20A1
05-18-2002, 10:51 PM
The AS plastic hose?

Just raise the idle... but you may want to clean the carb barrels with carb cleaner and change the fue & airl filters if they haven't been changed in a while.

ACCORD EX
05-18-2002, 11:48 PM
pcv valve causes unsteady idle ! and like MIKE said use a carb cleaner ( damn i love this stuff !! :D )

MIKE

hondaisthebest
05-19-2002, 07:07 AM
Yes the as plastic hose.

I already change is pcv valve and i try to clean with some
spray a little change but so good.
If i raise is idle i am scare to make some bad things to the
tranny? Like a 950 in drive is not too much for the tranny??

ACCORD EX
05-19-2002, 07:15 AM
is it auto or manual !

MIKE

rocky2
05-19-2002, 07:50 AM
Always begin with the basics. Fuel/air filters as A20A1 says. Then proceed to make adjustments from the "how to' posts on Adjusting carbs....Great pictures. I would make adjustments to air/fuel mixture screw 1st when engine is hot and choke fully open,and just turn screw very slowly till prms pick up some then try to lower curb idle down afterwords. Bad spark plugs can also cause a lot of idle problems and poor starting. Hondas run good with NGKs or Nippondenso. Throw in a set before fooling with the carb. And cap and rotor if they look bad....Carb tuning should never be done before a basic tune up is performed.

hondaisthebest
05-19-2002, 01:28 PM
I change the distributor cap and wire, also the two fuel filter, and check the timing. I put aslo new ngk plugs. No difference at all.
The only difference that i notice its when i pour a can of wynns carburator cleaner, the idle was perfect but after a day the problem was back, its why i thinks maybe a problem of a/f.

The car is a automatic.

njpeter
05-19-2002, 01:37 PM
it helps if you define the "problem".
( add if when hot or cold if difference)

1-won't idle at all after a dead cold start?

2-idle surges from 500-1500 rpm?

3-engine stall if put in drive or reverse?

4-idle too fast or too slow?

the carb-how-too is a great start, if hoses are not in the correct place you could be in for some fun.

details details details

and keep em pithy

hondaisthebest
05-19-2002, 07:48 PM
The car never stall but the idle surge from 600 to 700.
The car start very well even if its -30Celsius outside or hot.
I notice lost of power.
All the hose seems in good shape.

rocky2
05-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Good point on the right places for the vacum hoses ,njpeter.With engine idleing give the middle of intake a shot of starting fliud. If rpms increase there could be a plastic pvc hose/valve breakage. And it looks like a very hard job to replace. Sometimes just spraying carb cleaner into carb at high rpms, and all around outside of carb helps. If all else fails it may be time to try to adjust carb settings

shepherd79
05-20-2002, 04:41 AM
hey man,
if you changed everything that could couse the bad idle, i have one word for you. rebuild carb.
you can get carburator rebuild kit from autozone for like $30 or something like that.
and i would adjust air/fuel mixture screw. i had sooooo mush troble with that. it took me hole day just to get it right, and i still think it is not right.
good luck.

ACCORD EX
05-20-2002, 10:39 AM
why not weber !? :huh:

MIKE

hondaisthebest
05-20-2002, 07:18 PM
Too much expensive for him and to much complicate for me:D
Anyways does a webers carburator is hard to install on a
car with auto tranny?

Yeah maybe i will a try a rebuilts kit hard to do???

shepherd79
05-21-2002, 04:49 AM
to rebuild carburator is not that hard. the hard part is taking out and putting it back.
it took me about 2 hours, with a little breaks.
but if you are in a hury i am sure you can do it in one hour.