PDA

View Full Version : prelude-->accord tranny swap

NXRacer
12-14-2002, 02:57 PM
I've seen a couple threads about transferring a prelude tranny to an accord, but i didnt see many details. Will the manual lude tranny bolt right up to the accord block?? I'm currently waiting to get a new A20 motor for my LXi and i was wondering if while i'm putting a new motor in my car, should i also get a prelude tranny while i'm at it.

dXsquared
12-14-2002, 03:03 PM
well... it wont be an up grade. u have an LXi which has the same gears as the lude. the upgrade is only for LX and DX cars. they have shittier gear ratios

Travis

NXRacer
12-14-2002, 03:07 PM
Thanks. guess i'll scrap that idea.

dXsquared
12-14-2002, 03:09 PM
yah... u dont need it.
get a header instead

Travis

88LXi68
12-14-2002, 03:47 PM
i disagree, I have done the Prelude Tranny swap and it is different than the Accord Tranny. The Prelude has a shorter 3rd,4th and 5th I believe.

Gear Ratios (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165)

89AccordNate
12-14-2002, 06:11 PM
Once again, people talking shit about what they 'think' they know and giving bad advice.....man that gets annoying.

Nate.

johndej
12-14-2002, 08:02 PM
no offence but do you have any advise to give about swaping a prelude transmition into an accord nate?

88LXi68
12-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by johndej
no offence but do you have any advise to give about swaping a prelude transmition into an accord nate?

That isn't his point. Nate is saying that if you don't know the answer why even bother replying and give the person the wrong information.

johndej
12-14-2002, 08:06 PM
opps, forgot to post about it lol. well, i checked that thing on the gear ratios and they don't look very diff, would it really be worth the trub (unless you need a new trans anyway) to do the swap? from that chart, it looked like a 0.01 diff between the LXI and lude. oh well, good luck if you plan on doing it. and no offence to you nate :D

88LXi68
12-14-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by johndej
opps, forgot to post about it lol. well, i checked that thing on the gear ratios and they don't look very diff, would it really be worth the trub (unless you need a new trans anyway) to do the swap? from that chart, it looked like a 0.01 diff between the LXI and lude. oh well, good luck if you plan on doing it. and no offence to you nate :D

They aren't that much different but I swaped from Auto to 5spd so it was worth it for me. If you need to change a tranny I see it as worth it, but I would not go out of my way to get one. Also, if you are looking for acceleration then every little bit helps. One thing about the Prelude tranny is that it seems to be geared much more sporty and always seems to be in the "powerband".

anchovies
12-14-2002, 10:47 PM
Why not try the 1st gen integra transmission?
Better ratios.

HondaBoy
12-15-2002, 12:16 AM
how about a 2nd or maybe its the 3rd gen tranny? its an auto and its a 4WS. i would like to be a lil quicker. anything will help with being a slight bit quicker

HondaBoy
12-15-2002, 12:28 AM
hey NXRacer, is ur name in contrast to something ur runnin in ur car? like nitrous express? i just looked at a kit and saw ur SN for this board.

merlindavis
12-16-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by HondaBoy
how about a 2nd or maybe its the 3rd gen tranny? its an auto and its a 4WS. i would like to be a lil quicker. anything will help with being a slight bit quicker your accord is 4WS? i believe the only usdm 4WS hondas were 3g and 4g ludes...

3g integra tranny won't fit, unless you have a b-series other than a b20a in... i don't think the 2g integra tranny will fit for the same reason...

if the 4ws is on a 3g lude, you can do the work to fit a b21 tranny... b21 tranny has quite a bit shorter gears than 3g lude b20 tranny...

Tim Yoak
12-17-2002, 05:41 AM
What year prelude were you talking about, I believe there was only one body style. I need to find a transmission anyway so I might as well get a lude transmission.:pimp:

88LXi68
12-17-2002, 12:54 PM
83-87

dXsquared
12-17-2002, 01:08 PM
ok... so the gears from a LXi 5 speed and the gears from a lude are not that far apart... so say sorry b4 i hunt u down and kick ur asses!! only 3 4 and 5 are taller and thats a good thing... good accel gears and lower rpm gears for cruzin! so eat my balls!!!!!!!!

Travis

88LXi68
12-17-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
ok... so the gears from a LXi 5 speed and the gears from a lude are not that far apart... so say sorry b4 i hunt u down and kick ur asses!! only 3 4 and 5 are taller and thats a good thing... good accel gears and lower rpm gears for cruzin! so eat my balls!!!!!!!!

Travis

kick my ass?? ok tough guy. If you are going to respond to someone's question just make sure you give them all the information. By the way.... 3rd gear is not an acceleration gear. Can you finish the quarter mile in 2nd??? NO!! think about what you are saying before you give someone advice.

dXsquared
12-17-2002, 01:26 PM
ok... well in 3rd gear, u are already goin fast enuff for a taller gear and u wont have to shift into 4th as soon so accel will be smoother! so eat that! and i could defenetly kick ur ass.. weither u are 6'3" 250 lbs or like a super built guy... i have been in martial arts for 7 years! i have been boxing for 3, so i can KICK YOUR ASS! dont question that... just leave it at that OK?

Travis

johndej
12-17-2002, 06:59 PM
damn, thread has gotten out of hand, calm the hell down guys.

88LXi68
12-17-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
ok... well in 3rd gear, u are already goin fast enuff for a taller gear and u wont have to shift into 4th as soon so accel will be smoother! so eat that! and i could defenetly kick ur ass.. weither u are 6'3" 250 lbs or like a super built guy... i have been in martial arts for 7 years! i have been boxing for 3, so i can KICK YOUR ASS! dont question that... just leave it at that OK?

Travis

Did I say I was going to hurt you?? No. I was making fun of you because you think you are tough. Don't tell me how to race a car. I have been on this board for almost 3 years and if there is 1 thing I have learned it is too keep your mouth shut if you DONT know the answer 100%. i am done. I will not respond anymore to your replies.

Estimated Prophet
04-12-2007, 07:20 PM
^^^That shit is hilarious. Crazy people and their bushy eye brows.

Yeah old thread, but here goes.

I'm having an 86 Prelude Si tranny installed in my 88 LX-i. How much of a difference are the gear ratios? Will I feel it? Also is a $200 Centerforce clutch worth it or should I get an OEM replacement? I'll only have an intake and full 2.25 exhaust. I'll be adding Pacesetter headers in the near future. No engine mods yet but I smell a head port/polish, cam grind and adj gear in my future.

87LXiR
04-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Seems to me that you care more about performance than fuel economy so il say yes the swap is worth it but with an exception. From what ive read the prelude gears are shorter 3-5 so you will see improvement. But if you want even shorter ratios than that look into a first gen integra gear swap ( only the internals swap into tha A20 tranny case). The good thing about the integra gear swap is that you can leave in the accord 5th giving you a highway gear for fuel economy and gears1-4 for your driving pleasure :thumbup:

So IMO the prelude tranny is an improvement but the integra may yield better results. I know there are other threads on the integra hybrid tranny so its something deffinatly worth looking into:)

MessyHonda
04-12-2007, 09:03 PM
im trying to keep my fuel economy so im just making the engine faster.....i can always get low profile tires....it might throw the speedo off but yeah what ever...our lx-i trannies already have shorter gears than the carb version. the integra gears are awesome tho.....i got to ride a 3gee with them and it was fast.

87LXiR
04-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh and as for your clutch take a look at clutchnet i keep hearing that they are high quality, but have heard just the opposite about centerforce. Matter of fact take a look at maxedoutracer's integra thread i believe there is a picture of a centerforce clutch that he pulled out.......didnt look so good :thumbdn:

".....i got to ride a 3gee with them and it was fast" MessyHonda
Lucky....:D

MessyHonda
04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Oh and as for your clutch take a look at clutchnet i keep hearing that they are high quality, but have heard just the opposite about centerforce. Matter of fact take a look at maxedoutracer's integra thread i believe there is a picture of a centerforce clutch that he pulled out.......didnt look so good :thumbdn:
".....i got to ride a 3gee with them and it was fast" MessyHonda
Lucky....:D

here are the specs on the car.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57136

87LXiR
04-12-2007, 09:37 PM
You got a ride in the open loop accord! ::jaw: Aside from the tranny im preety sure the engine mods helped with the accelaeration.:D

MessyHonda
04-12-2007, 09:40 PM
You got a ride in the open loop accord! ::jaw: Aside from the tranny im preety sure the engine mods helped with the accelaeration.:D

yes yes i know.........it made my car feel soo slow.....his car is just amazing.....so fast...makes me want to build a car just like his...a fast sedan. high 14 sec sedan....now that would rock.

87LXiR
04-12-2007, 09:53 PM
yes yes i know.........it made my car feel soo slow.....his car is just amazing.....so fast...makes me want to build a car just like his...a fast sedan. high 14 sec sedan....now that would rock.
Yeah i know the feeling, a sleeper 4door would be cool.....BUT i think i would prefer a hatch :thumbup:

tuxdreamerx
04-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Bump

Blizzard
04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
We swapped a Prelude transmission into an Accord. And to be honest, I didnt really tell that much diffrence, there was some. Nothing dramatic though.

Ive also got the same Centerforce your talking about. We ran it all year last year. Granted, a circle track car isnt near as bad on a clutch as drag racing. But it still looked brand new after a year worth of racing weekends.

If acclectration is your main concern a light flywheel and weight reduction are going to make more feelable diffrence than anything.

But to answer the orginal question. (it may have already been answerd, I just kinda skimmed through most of this)
We didnt change anything else. Bolted right up.

Estimated Prophet
04-13-2007, 03:49 AM
Thanks for all the input. A teg gear swap would be nice but we have a Prelude tranny on the yard and I can have a tech swap it in all for free. I would have to pay someone labor and buy the gears to go the teg route. What's a good source for a lighter flywheel?

My 5th gear is out btw, that is why I'm concerned about a transmission.

87LXiR
04-13-2007, 07:26 AM
I know clutchnet sells lightweight flywheels (12lbs) and i think they run about $295 other than that i think ive read about fidanza having one, not too sure about that one though.