PDA

View Full Version : Fuel delivery????

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I just recently acquired an 1989 Accord LX and am experiencing the following problem:

1. When I go out to start the car on a cold morning (yeah, Texas, Gulf of Mexico, cold? :tongue: ), I push in the gas twice at a moderate rate, and then start cranking the engine. Now what happens next is the engine comes to life and revs to about a thousand RPM, runs for a second and dies on me. This procedure is repeated at least 3 times before the engine cranks, starts and stays running. After this the engine warms up, choke cycles through its steps and it runs very well.

2. When I turn the car off and attempt to restart it within a couple of minutes, the engine behaves in a fashion similar to what is described above. However the engine starts faster than in scenario #1.

Attempted sollutions to problem:

1. Changed spark plugs to NGKs recommended by Honda(regapped)[had some crappy worn Champion plugs that weren't even the right type in there]. Car now runs better with a smooth idle. Starts have also slightly improved.

2. Checked air filter and found that it was in good condition.

3. Sprayed the carb with Carb cleaner outside and in. No change followed. Choke functions properly as well as all other linkages.

Ok, I think that is all I tried so far. The timing belt and w/p were changed less than 200 miles ago. New oil seals.

It somewhat seems like I am not getting fuel into the carb and the ignition that I am getting comes from the fuel left from previous runs. Considering that I have to crank the car 3-6 times before I get the engine going, it would make sense that the fuel pump is turned on up to 6 or more times. This I would think I is enough to force the fuel to the engine. After the fuel is there, the engine comes to life. I was thinking that it could be my fuel filters but wouldn't dirty filters affect the engine overall? (ie rough idle, hesitation, stalling?) The engine runs perfectly once started without any sign of a fuel problem.

Is there some one way valve in the fuel system that prevents the fuel from travelling back to the tank?

BTW, when I turn the key I can hear the main relay click, not sure if I hear my pump but I am pretty sure that works cause the engine runs consistently once started.

Does anyone have any insight on this? :stick:

Thanks in advance and pardon my long post. :D

DanG86LX
12-14-2002, 08:40 PM
"Is there some one way valve in the fuel system that prevents the fuel from traveling back to the tank? "

Yeah, 3g fuel pumps have this one way valve at the output. But they don't hold that well. Yours probably don't hold at all. To check that pull the fuel line at the engine fuel filter and attach a clear plastic line to filter, the other end to a container on top of ur car and crank the engine. U will see the gas going to container but when u stop cranking, it should hold there.
During warm season, there is some pressure in the tank which help keeping gas in the fuel line even when one way valve doesn't hold. But on cold morning, it might be vacuum there which combined with slightly leaky one way valve...

pimp86LX
12-15-2002, 02:24 AM
OMG i have the same problem!!! 3geez is the best

its really really noticable on the -20C mornings
ewwwwww

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-15-2002, 05:55 AM
Thanks DanG86LX,

I am gonna run the test you recommended and I am pretty sure you are correct. Is there any possible way to replace the one-way valve at the output or would that require a whole new pump?
I am also thinking that on really cold mornings the tank would in fact have some vaccuum in it(as you stated) so would I be able to relieve that vaccuum by taking the gas cap out to relieve it? (not permanently, just to equilize pressure) Thanks for speedy help.

:D

doug
12-15-2002, 06:33 AM
It may be that the choke valve is not closing enough. Take the filter housing off and check the choke valve, it needs to be completely closed, after the engine starts it should open up, if it does not open enough, you will get a rich rough idle, if it opens too much it will cut off. On the choke heater coil housing check the position of the index marks on the cover and the body, I have mine set about two clicks to the front of the car which slightly opens the choke valve. The book says to align the marks but my starts are too rich if I do. Anyway, just watch what happens if you can be looking at the carb while someone starts the car when cold.

Greg
12-15-2002, 06:19 PM
What Dan said about the one-way valve is great advice.

I would also add that you should change both your fuel filters if you haven't in a while. One is like $3 and the other is like $5 or something like that -- CHEAP! You should change them anyway, and you may as well change them now to make sure that you are getting the full pressure from the fuel pump rather than some lost pressure due to a partially-blocked filter.

I would personally change the one in the engine bay when doing Dan's recommended test since you have to disconnect the line to it anyway. It's the cheaper one too! But the other one by the rear wheel is important and often neglected.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-16-2002, 02:00 PM
The problem is solved!

Thanks to everyone who helped out. I basically replaced my air, primary fuel, and secondary fuel filters and the engine purrs like a kitten. Started up on the first crank. WOW. Thanks again everyone!

89 Accords Rock
01-13-2003, 08:24 AM
look under your car by the fuel tank. theres 4 prong clip. unplug it and clean it out by blowing in it. its your fuel pump connection.. that should solve your problem.