PDA

View Full Version : Putting starter back together!!!!

brianc85
12-15-2002, 12:37 PM
My brother and I are changing the clutch on my car this weekend. My brother calls me this morning ( im at work) and tells me that the inside of the starter was laying on the floor. Im not exactly the most mechanical person that ever lived so thats why my brother is pretty much doing it. Anyways, I have no idea how it fell out or anthing, but now i need to get it back inside. The part that fell out i guess was the part that has all the copper and stuff wrapped around it. He told me that he doesnt know how to get the inside of the starter back in. He said that there are a couple of clips or something in there and that he doesnt have enough hands to get the thing back in. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know any tricks or tools that i need to get for when i go home. Also I wondering if the starter is now junk. He said that it landed on a towel that we had laying down and the starter still looks ok. Any help would be great. thanx

cruznz
12-15-2002, 01:43 PM
no special tools needed.....you'll just have to hold the brushes in when you slip it on to the commutator

88LXi/87CRXSi
12-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Ya mean ya haven't downloaded Paul's manual yet? :confused:
Well the manual says to
1. Pry back each brush spring with a screwdriver and position the brush about halfway out of it's holder, and release the spring to hold it there. 2. Install the armature in the housing. Next pry back each spring again and Push the brush down until it seats against the commutator, then release the spring against the end of the brush. 3. Install the end cover on the brush holder

-Steve

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 05:40 PM
:wtf: HOW DID YOU GET THE STARTER APART.???????????????:stupid:

cruznz
12-16-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
:wtf: HOW DID YOU GET THE STARTER APART.???????????????:stupid: :rolleyes: lol...i didnt wanna ask....:smokin:

BMS
12-16-2002, 09:05 PM
Aren't there just two screws on the end holding the plate on? That's how my old Toyota was.

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 09:17 PM
:flip: yea,but why did you take the starter apart to take the clutch out? all you have to do is unbolt two bolts and the starter comes right off the transmission

BMS
12-16-2002, 09:39 PM
That is also true, but if the starter is old, you might as well clean it while you're in there. Better than having it go bad on a rainy day miles from home.

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 09:58 PM
From what my book says you are not even supposed to be able to take it apart. there are no parts available for it :smokin:

cruznz
12-17-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
From what my book says you are not even supposed to be able to take it apart. there are no parts available for it :smokin:
is that in a honda book tim?

Tim Yoak
12-17-2002, 05:18 AM
:confused: It was in a haynes manual, which so far has been an excellent manual and dead on. Also the dealer has told me the same thing, no parts available.

cruznz
12-17-2002, 01:06 PM
yeh...haynes is not to bad,.....but i wouldnt believe everything a dealer said
I've rebuilt plenty of starters and if i couldnt get the parts i needed i'd utilise any good parts from old ones i got lying around
Most common probs i find with them are solenoid and brushes

Immeraufdemhund
12-17-2002, 04:03 PM
you could just go to a junk yard and get another one if your worried about it.

shepherd79
12-17-2002, 04:12 PM
if started just felt apart, than you may want to get a new one.

BMS
12-18-2002, 08:24 PM
No, my starter went to shit today so I pulled it out and looked at it and cleaned it. The core simply slides right out of the shell. To expose the brushes so that you can hold them back you take out two screws on the end, and slide pull apart the shell. It is a bitch to get the core back inside the brushes, but what I did was to have one person hold the whole thing steady and apply pressure, while the other person uses something soft (plasic) to push the brushes in one by one. Just work your way around until it pops on. It may take two or three circles, but it works. It took me half hour of cursing to figure out this method. I thought I had broken the dumb thing when the core slid out onto my lap. Now it works great. I also found that the rear bearing is as good as dead from the carbon getting in it, so I might have to go get another one soon, but it starts for now.