PDA

View Full Version : Crappy seatbelts?

Coitis1
12-15-2002, 08:09 PM
i noticed how useless my seatbelts are. u know how the seatbelt is supposed to be restricted from loosening once its buckled and positioned? well, mine doesn't do that. both the driver and passenger seats up front can be pulled loose after they are buckled. that makes the seatbelts useless. is there a way to fix this?? i remember someone saying that they went to the dealership to get something fixed and a salesman showed him how to slide in and out of the seat while keeping the seatbelt buckled. i'm assuming that this is why they can be pulled loose. i want mine to be restricted though. i don't wanna end up with a steering wheel column through my chest if i get in an accident. someone please help!!! thanks

socal3rdgen
12-15-2002, 08:12 PM
your seatbelts have a locking mechanism that activates when the car jolts. next time you go to make a turn while your making the turn try to move forward in you seat. i dont mean a granny turn make aquick one. your seatbelts should lock up. if they dont get them fixed immedietly.

1989 DX R
12-15-2002, 08:14 PM
Go to the dealer and get it fixed for free. I'm pretty sure anything to do with seatbelts gets fixed for free.

socal3rdgen
12-15-2002, 08:16 PM
yep with honda for the lifetime of the vehicle.

loco87
12-15-2002, 08:45 PM
slamm your brakes when your doin about 30 mph and they should lock up.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
12-15-2002, 09:41 PM
Coitis1:

You should be able to get "tensioned slack" from your seat belt when it is "locked into the buckle." That is the normal operation for the Honda seat belt. When you slam on your brakes, the seat belt will lock and you will not be able to get any slack.

However, if you have your seat belt locked into the buckle and are able to get additional slack without automatic retraction, then you have a serious problem. That means that when you lean forward, the extra slack you create remains when you lean back. That is extremely dangerous and was quite common on American cars during the early 90's and definitely through out the 80's. I believed they called it the "window" seat belt (not sure why).

The seatbelt should have tension at all times when pulled from its rest position. If that is not the case, then CAREFULLY drive yourself to the dealer and have it repaired under warranty!!! Our cars come with lifetime warranty on the seatbelts for MALFUNCTIONS and BREAKDOWNS.

Safe Driving
Claude

Mike's89AccordLX
12-15-2002, 10:31 PM
Yeah there was a recall on our seat belts (the part by the seat or should I just say female end) But yeah the Honda dealers are supposed to fix them for free.

Blue Impact
12-15-2002, 11:44 PM
Sometimes mine just locks up and I hate it, especially when I'm trying to change lanes and try to look over my left shoulder and I can't cuz the belt's got me down.

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Blue Impact
Sometimes mine just locks up and I hate it, especially when I'm trying to change lanes and try to look over my left shoulder and I can't cuz the belt's got me down.
Mine does that quite a bit too, but usually just when I turn really fast or hit the brakes hard. Kinda feels like I'm strapped in a go kart, haha :lol . I don't mind it too much though. I'd much rather have it lock up when it's not supposed to than not lock up when it is supposed to. Reassures me that it's working properly and will lock up in a crash. Reminds me of back in 1994, my mom was riding with my sister in her '86 VW Golf when she hit a Camaro at about 40-45 mph (he pulled right in front of her). She was wearing her seatbelt, but it didn't lock up and she hit the dash pretty hard. Not too comfortable at all, especially when you already have arthritis and a bunch of aches and pains like she did. Ouch...

But yea, seatbelts have a lifetime warranty with Honda, so if there's anything wrong with them just take it in and they'll fix it for free

anchovies
12-16-2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Coitis1
i remember someone saying that they went to the dealership to get something fixed and a salesman showed him how to slide in and out of the seat while keeping the seatbelt buckled.

I'm the one that said that and the mechanic also showed me that the seat belts are not suppose to lock up. It only locks up when there is a sudden jolt. Not one that you can just "pull", but try driving 15-20 mph and hit the brakes hard. It'll lock up. If you've taken off the door panels and look at the seat belt mechanism, it's not just a simple *teeth grip* design. It has top and bottom sensors.

For those that don't have a COUPE, the seat belt design is different.

Coitis1
12-17-2002, 02:54 PM
sorry, i haven't been able to get on since i posted this. my computer got a virus somehow and we spent yesterday reformatting, which took off all the software that wasn't on when we bought it, so we had to load everything agian. i still haven't downloaded any plug-ins. lol, we bought this computer in '98, so it had AOL 3.0 on it. anyways, i had tried pushing the seatbelt forward with my stomach when i was braking hard and it locked up. clever design. thanks for all the replies.