PDA

View Full Version : Engine stalls when warmed and idling.

jzdude
10-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Car: 1987 Honda Accord Carburetor automatic.

The car stalls when it's fully warmed and is idling. Once it stalls it's very difficult to start back up. I checked the vacuum lines and while doing so I noticed that the connection of the PCV valve to the engine is very loose and maybe leaking.

When I replaced the PCV valve a year ago it was very difficult to remove and I worked it really hard to get it out so I may have warped the connection. Could this be the cause of why it's stalling? Also can I use some RTV gasket maker to put around the PCV valve to make a better seal or is this a bad idea?

Dr_Snooz
10-19-2014, 07:13 PM
The likely vacuum leak from the PCV is not helping, but I'd doubt it's your problem. Start by fixing it. I'm not sure how it's mounted on the carb models, and I'm sure RTV would work, but my preference is always to fix it properly by replacing any broken, damaged or old, inflexible parts.

If you've been lax with the regular maintenance (especially tune ups), that's the place to start. If you've been running iffy gas, put a can of injector cleaner through it. If that fails to fix it, then you get to comb through the manual and test all the little solenoids, actuators and dash pots on the carb to ensure they're working correctly.

Good times.

gp02a0083
10-20-2014, 07:22 AM
almost sounds like something related to the choke X2 to shat Snooz said, I would download the manual and take a look at some of the troubleshooting guides on the solenoids and stuff. You probably want to look at section 11.

carotman
10-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Check that the idle solenoid works properly

noroads88mph
05-09-2016, 04:02 PM
I have a similar issue. 1988 lx auto w/ carb 201a. I have replaced plugs and wires, distributor cap, both fuel filters and fuel pump. I have checked and adjusted the float bowl, electric choke and idle speed. It will start on cold start with one tap of the gas pedal. then it will idle at about 2000 rpms. But the second I hit the gas pedal to bring the rpms down, boom! stalls. What else can I do?