PDA

View Full Version : carb tip when troubleshooting

doug
12-16-2002, 07:43 AM
I've been experimenting with different choke settings recently and got tired of taking the filter housing off so I got a sheet of 1/2 inch foam and cut a section big enough to wrap over the screen dome on the keihin carb and then used a rubber band to hold it in place. I also block the air suction port, and took the two bleeder valves off the housing and hooked them up to the proper vacuum hose. I blocked the somewhat large hose on the passenger side of the housing and left the one for vacumm line #17 open. works well. for what it's worth.
http://87accord.com/image/accord%20043.jpg

ACCORD EX
12-16-2002, 09:46 AM
isn't that restrictive !

MIKE

dXsquared
12-16-2002, 12:56 PM
u dont even need a filter! its not that big of a deal! I dont run one on my weber! Its like free HP... the amount of dirt that gets in is like so minute, it dont even make a diiference!

Travis

Greg
12-16-2002, 01:07 PM
I would personally maybe go with a more-porous foam than what you're using, but I think this is a good tip!

I too have been messing with my carb all winter, and it gets to be a pain to take off the airbox all the time. Plus you sort-of run the risk of accidentally tearing a vacuum hose when pulling 'em off every week.

For you guys in warm climates, you don't know what it can be like with these carbs! You think you got everything rigged right, it works fine for a week, and then the idle starts acting up. Then when it's snowing out you have to take it all apart AGAIN on the street and mess with it some more.

I think this can be a good way to avoid some of that work if you expect to be messing with it repeatedly in winter!

2old_honda
12-16-2002, 06:41 PM
if you are going to run that you should at least oil it

2old_honda
12-16-2002, 06:44 PM
also, that type of foam is not very strong. the engine could easily suck bits of it in. If you are going to do that use foam made for air filters and keep it oiled

A20A1
12-16-2002, 07:16 PM
get the replaceable filter that goes on an eddlebrock pro flow.
It's a little stonger.

2old_honda
12-16-2002, 07:19 PM
the replacement foam element for HKS filters would also work well

DataVirtue
12-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Please dont listen to the bone head that is suggesting not to run a filter on your carb at all. The "small amount" of dirt that does get in goes straight to the top your ring landings and sits there while the piston moves up and down. This "small amount" of dirt abrades the cyl walls as well as slowly damages the rings. Want blowby? Don't run a filter. I have already done this to a motor before.