PDA

View Full Version : very important

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Just for those of you who don't know, there was a recall on the seatbelts for these cars. I don't have the exact years, but it was for honda,nissan,toyota. If you take your car to a dealer you can ask them to check your vin number and look at the belts. What happened was that the release button would start coming apart under uv light(sunlight) and pieces of the button would fall into the buckle making it not work right. Honda is required by federal law to replace these belts at no cost to you if they haven't already been replaced. This is VERY IMPORTANTto get this fixed your safety is on the line.

89accordboi
12-16-2002, 05:08 PM
is this just in ur state or everywhere

dXsquared
12-16-2002, 05:09 PM
EVERYWHERE!

and what about the gastank recall? is that free too?

Travis

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 05:15 PM
As far as i know The gas tank recall is everywhere. Double check me on that one. The dealer gave me some bs about the age of the car.

89accordboi
12-16-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
EVERYWHERE!
Travis

just double checking :rolleyes:

oldsub86
12-16-2002, 05:45 PM
OK I'll bite. What is the gas tank recall about?

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 05:53 PM
On some of cars up north, there was a problem with corrosionwhere the gas filler neck attaches to the inner part of the body(inside the gas door) sometimes the neck would seperate from the body, then when you filled the tank gas could leak down inside the rear fender well . posing a fire hazzard

dXsquared
12-16-2002, 05:55 PM
so is it also a free repair? i rebuilt mine with silicone and sprayed it with body color paint

Travis

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 06:06 PM
It was a honda recall. and as far as I know it is free. check with the dealer

DanG86LX
12-16-2002, 10:11 PM
Had mine done during summer FREE. Lots of carb problems - no idle, stalling..

Tim Yoak
12-16-2002, 10:16 PM
What did you have done that was causing carb problems

A20A1
12-16-2002, 11:01 PM
the rust cause the problems... I think that what he's saying

Tim Yoak
12-17-2002, 05:25 AM
:eek: The rust shouldn't be getting past the fuel filters. check both of them, also pull the fuel pump and make sure the pump sock is installed correctly and clean. BE VERY CAREFUL,the place where the sock installs can break very eaisly

87accordlx
12-17-2002, 05:51 AM
i heard that honda won't repair the fuel filler problem if you attempted to fix it yourself
is this true?

Tim Yoak
12-17-2002, 11:09 AM
:flipa: It's possible, They gave me a hard time about the age of my car,didn't even have any rust anywhere. They also gave me a hard time about the belts. I had to install buckles from a different honds because my belts had failed completly. still had the originals in the car. I threatened to sue, they replaced the belts.simple as that. they tried to tell me in order for the warranty to be good I should have left the broken buckles in the car and driven it that way with no belts.

dj99
12-17-2002, 11:27 AM
I took my 3G in this summer for the belt recall. Since my buckles had not broken (yet), they simply put some black tongue guides onto the buckles so that you are forced to put the tongue in very straight. If the buckles had been broken, they would have replaced them (not the whole belt).

Tim Yoak
12-17-2002, 12:22 PM
what good are those supposed to do? The button is disintigrating ,they replaced my belts because the retractors had also failed all original honda belts have a lifetime warranty

Greg
12-17-2002, 12:27 PM
Hey guys,

While we're on this subject, I'm wondering if anyone knows some legal facts about recalls:

Does the dealer HAVE to do the recalls?

What if you're not the original owner of the car and you bought it used?

Is there a time limit?

I called a couple places about the filler neck recall on my G/F's LXi cuz it was having (in my opinion), fuel supply problems. I thought that rust from filler neck was clogging fuel filters. Eventually I changed the fuel filter and it runs better now, but the idle has a sort-of half-miss. I still wonder if some rust crud is getting into an injector...

ANYWAY, when I called, the dealers basically told me to fuck off. One place said they only honor recalls on cars that are < 10yrs old, and another place just gave me a bureaucratic run around. Then I was busy and didn't try other places. My G/F and I also have to drive every day to work, and so scheduling is a bitch, blah blah blah...

But do the dealers HAVE to do this recall and the seat belt recall on both our cars (mine is 87 LX that my dad bought new)? What should I do if they're being dickheads about it?

thanks!
-Greg in Chicago

Grant2k
12-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 89accordboi
is this just in ur state or everywhere
the recall was from Honda, so it would cover everything.

my understanding is that unless they can prove the recall has already been serviced, they have to do it not matter how old. the seatbelts are always free, the rest is up to them i guess.

dXsquared
12-17-2002, 01:57 PM
i was just there and the guy told me to call back tommorow cuz he would have to dig up the old shit... they are like ten years old! any way... ill let u know aht happens

Travis

dj99
12-17-2002, 05:20 PM
Greg -

Doesn't matter how old it is, or if you are the original owner. Call American Honda and tell them what's up, and what the specific dealer said. You can probably get a number through www.ahm-ownerlink.com

Tim Yoak
12-17-2002, 08:05 PM
DO NOT LET THEM GIVE YOU ANY CRAP! This recall is from american honda motor company , the dealers have to honor it. if not call american honda customer service and tell them what's going on. It does not matter how old the car is, all honda seatbelts are warranted for the life of the car. It doesn't matter if you are the original owner or not. Someone please check with them about the details on the filler neck and post it here. They tried to give me crap too, and I got it done. If a dealership is more concerned about the age of the car then with your safety and dealing with a recall claim then go somewhere else.:burn: :burn:

88' Accord Ltd
12-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Yah I called the dealership today and they said "there are no recalls for your car". I said to him buddy i have the recall number right here and he said "ooooh well you'll have to bring it down for us to look at it and MAYBE we can service it under the recall IF it hasnt been done already". So I had to make a damn appointment. The 27th at 2:00pm lol! I'll let you guys know what happens.

loco87
12-17-2002, 09:17 PM
"the place where the sock installs can break very eaisly"

sock? do you mean the strainer?

maka_RTH
12-17-2002, 10:27 PM
i also remember hearing about a brake-line recall or something? is was this true as well?

Immeraufdemhund
12-18-2002, 06:13 AM
they are required by law to service ALL recalls, no matter what. These recalls are for safety reasons, that's why the recall happened. If they complain about hte age, tell them you are not old enough to remember the recall because you couldn't drive the car. nor did you care.

charlesb2003
07-12-2003, 10:27 AM
:rant: i took mine in yesterday. it took an hour for them to dig up the info to see if they could still do it cuz the manager insisted that all recalls - even safety recalls - expire after 10 years... well they finally found out they had to do it but the lady in the office was telling me it was taking a while cuz the technicians in the shop had never done those recalls before and they were reading the service manual trying to learn how quick... then about 2 more hours went by and they drove my car up front. i thought i'd see some new stuff on it but no... the office lady told me that the seatbelt buckles that were recalled were made by a different company than the ones on my car, which is fine with me since they work perfectly. about the fuel filler neck tho, she said they couldn't replace it under the recall unless it was leaking already. and i was like :wtf: cuz it's a freakin recall that's why they recalled it so it wouldn't start leaking. but she insisted and she showed me the papers where it showed where they had to inspect for rust and it was in the body around the gas cap not in the neck itself. well my body has no rust at all, but when u open the cap u can see the inside of the neck is all rusted, like surface rust, and i believe it's clogging up my fuel filter cuz i had to change it and a week after changing it it's clogged again. and the gas that was in it was red cuz of the rust! :mad: </rant>

A20A3nD15
07-27-2003, 09:23 PM
heres a shocker - claiming my recall went smoothe as ice

on friday i called my local honda shop, only minutes after i tell them about my faulty passenger side seatbelt buckle, and bring up the seatbelt recall, they take down my info and tell me the part will be ordered and will call me when it arrives to set up an installation date.

so far so good...

adams86lxi
07-27-2003, 10:25 PM
man i need to check up on that recall! I'll try to go this weekend because my dad knows the manager at the honda dealer and we have bought many many hondas off him! I wont let them give me crap!:cool:

A20A3nD15
08-13-2004, 11:45 AM
it's hard to believe it's been a year since my last post on this topic. I recently inquired about getting my filler neck recall taken care of. I've develped a bad gas leak, and I believe this is the cause of my problem. My local Honda dealer tells me that the filler neck problem was only a memo and was never made into an actual recall. I had no problem getting my seatbelt recall fixed a year ago, but they are giving me the cold shoulder about the filler neck recall.

Would someone please please please post a copy of this recall because I can't find it anywhere. :help: Thanks!!

AccordEpicenter
08-13-2004, 12:41 PM
im not sure about the fuel neck recall but the seatbelts (ive only seen about 1 3g that had this) the release button has a clip that somtimes breaks off and falls into the mechanism, so you wont be able to put a seatbelt into it, or if you do it wont go in all the way and clip... so if it appears to function normally... then its fine.

A20A1
08-13-2004, 01:26 PM
I give my seatbelts a good tug after they are clicked in... just in case. Then I loose that bich back up cause I don't like been strangled at the waist.

accordlxi2.0
08-13-2004, 01:44 PM
i like the adjuster thingy's on my new 3g, i did'nt have it on my 86, my mom and dad's car don't have it either!
i had my 86 the fuel thingy was a recall and so was the ignition switch.
they took my info ordered the part, called me next day and i was done.
now they keep sending me mail reminding me i have to change my timing belt . . . .

A20A1
08-13-2004, 01:51 PM
lol,

I never knew about the ignition switch, maybe mine is affected, but then it could just be old.

thegreatdane
08-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Would someone please please please post a copy of this recall because I can't find it anywhere. :help: Thanks!!

That would be nice, getting someone else to fix my rusty inner fender around the gas filler. But I doubt they'll do it when my car is 18 years old...

od2681
08-14-2004, 08:27 AM
oh shit i had that problem...like it breaking apart, i just went to a junkyard picked another one...i should go to honda now..thankgod i didnt cut off the wiring, the old one is in there with the wires on there...i have the number so ima call em

Vinny
08-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Look in the FAQ's the recall info is there Link (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=35963) and Link (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=36608)

I Highly recommend joining Honda Owner Link