PDA

View Full Version : Front Engine Mount

mvk
12-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Hello Folks:
I am a new bee on this forum. But I am a senior member on Diesel Mercedes forum that looks just like this.

Well I have a little problem. My 1988 Lxi used to vibrate a bit when in drive at idle. I did the reasearch on net to find that rear mount was the culprit. So I ordered a new one from Honda dealer. While at it I also got the new after market front mount made in Korea by Anchor from Autozone.

I changed both mounts( paid 70 bucks for that) and now the car vibrates even more I mean like hell. Looking closely at the aftermarket front mount, i dont think it is oil filled. It looks like its a solid rubber piece and has very little lateral movement or inward movement. Could this be the problem??
The old front mount still looks very good no cracks no rotting at all. Are the OEM front mounts supposed to be oil filled??

Any thoughts. These vibrations are breaking my jaws.

Please help.

BoredRec
12-16-2002, 07:58 PM
Yeah, the front is liquid filled, and the most expensive out of the three. Might want to check the side engine mount, make sure it's not damaged. If the old mount is still good, you might want to put it back in. Wouldn't hurt, and it would help eliminate that wonder.

mvk
12-16-2002, 09:14 PM
Thnaks BoredRec. You have put my mind at quite a bit of an ease.
Yes the side mounts are fine and so are the torque strut bushings.
No wonder the OEM front mount is almost 2-3 times more expensive than the Anchor garbage. I will try reinstalling the old one and post the results. But it may take a few more days as its very cold lately in NY.

Thanks again.
MVK

mvk
12-24-2002, 09:11 PM
:tongue:

Hi everyone:
Happy to say that sterring vibration at idle in D4 or D3 are gone.
It was all due to the generic front mount made by anchor. It was a solid piece of rubber and was not oil filled. Got rid of it and put back the old one which was Honda original and still in very good shape. This took care of the bad vibes. While at it also replaced the rear mount with the new Honda part and the car is now as good as new.

What a difference. Now one more problem to solve, its the RPM drop when lights or blower or any other power apparatus are used.
Any thoughts on that.

Thanks for all the help

MVK

anchovies
12-24-2002, 10:35 PM
When the idle drops does it come back up to normal idle after a short while?

mvk
12-25-2002, 08:11 AM
Yes the idle speed comes back almost back to same. When I say almost I mean it might be lower by 25-50 rpm. When you look at the needle, the rpm drops by 100 or so when you turn on the lights etc. and then slowly rises back to 75 rpm or more so staying short of 25-50 rpm or so.

Is this normal? Could this be a sign of failing Main Relay or alternator? My priliminary Alternator tests shows that is ok. But I have not tested the main relay yet.
Thanks

MVK

ACCORD EX
12-25-2002, 10:41 AM
main relay won't do that i think because it's related to the pump !
BTW my idle drops a little and goes back when passenger window is activated !

MIKE

Elijah
12-25-2002, 03:23 PM
i have got a very bad idle it drops to under 100 then goes to like 250 back and forth i think it has got a serge i changed my egr valve but wasnt the problem any help.MVK sorry for asking ? on your thead.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-25-2002, 04:02 PM
If you are experiencing rough idle and/or hear misfires at idle, try changing the fuel filters first before trying anything more drastic. When I got the car it idled rather rough so I changed both fuel filters, spark plugs, and air filter and the engine purrs like a kitten. Pretty cheap fix and can save you from a lot of problems in the future. Total cost was about $30 for all filters, spark plugs(NGK) and a spark plug gapping tool. Make sure the spark plug gaps are set within the specified limits. There should be a sticker on the underside of the hood that informs you about spark plug types, manufacturers, and part numbers. Also you will find the proper gap size on the sticker as well.

P.S.: It is not really recommended that you get Champion plugs as they do not have a very good reputation for reliability in 3G Accords. Also check your wires and make sure the firing order is correct.

Hope I helped.:D

mvk
12-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Tried all that. I mean filters, plugs, cap and rotor, wires etc. etc.
Whats next?? I am really desperate to solve this problem.

MVk

anchovies
12-25-2002, 09:22 PM
mvk, your problem sounds normal to me. Unless the alternator can't keep up. But the idle should drop when you turn something on and then it bounces back up.

If your idle jumps up and down and up and down....then make sure your cooling system is properly bleed and does not have air in it and for fuel injection 3geez, check and clean the fast idle valve behind the throttle body.

mvk
12-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Thanks anchovies:
I think you are right , my friend just came to visit me with his 2002 accord, and it too had similar temporary drop in rpm when he used his power windows while in drive and at idle.
He told me may be I am looking too much into a problem that actually is not a problem. I will also clean the fast idle valve.
Thanks for the help.

By the way his idle spped vibrations on steering wheel were as much as on my 88 accord. WOW. Honda engine vibes seems to be an ongoing problem. I guess!!

But again thank you all for your support and info.

MVK